none
Trouble installing SSAS 2008 R2

Question

• Hello all. I am installing SQL 2008 R2 SSAS on a Win XP Pro machine. All other components of SQL 2008 R2 installed just fine, but SSAS is giving me errors when trying to start the service. Error: Provider failure 0x80041004

It tells me to look in the Event log for details, but I don't see any entries in the logs that would apply.

What am I missing, What is going wrong? Where can I look for help?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Todd,

From the error message, this looks like a WMI issue. Without any detailed error message, I would suggest you check the Setup Log (It is located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\.), perhaps there is something wrong during SSAS installation. Please post the error message if there is in setup log.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx

In addition, what’s the complete version of SQL Server you are using, Enterprise/Standard/32/64? Could you also check below Software Requirements:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Thanks,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Raymond:

Thanks for the reply. The \log folder you mention is 500 Mb and 4,000 files! The first level of folders under that look to be date/time stamps so looking at the latest one, it's still 250 files and several folder to choose from: Datastore, Datastore_ComponentUpdate, Datastore_GlobalRules, resources, Watson_1, and a cab file called LogSet_todd_<datestamp here>.

Any idea where to look in there for error messages? File Type?

I am installing Developer edition R2, 32 bit, version 10.50.1600. I got the iso from my MSDN subscription and it has run fine on another XP machine.

Thanks for the help.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Hi Todd,

You need to check the Summary.txt and then the detailed log base on Summary log. To find errors in the summary text file, search the file by using the "error" or "failed" keywords. If there is any error message in Summary log, please post the log here. Regarding to how to read SQL Server Setup log, you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx

Thanks,

Raymond
    Raymond Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 08, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Raymond,

Thanks for the suggestions. It will take a couple of days to get to this as I don't have the machine with me today. Check back next week.

Friday, October 08, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Raymond: Here is the first few lines of the Summary.txt log file:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
      Exit code (Decimal):           -733426222
      Exit facility code:            1096
      Exit error code:               52690

Also found this in the Detail.txt log at the very bottom:

2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature Analysis_Server_Full during timing ConfigNonRC and scenario ConfigNonRC.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: The service could not be started. Reason:  Service 'MSSQLServerOLAPService' start request failed.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: The configuration failure category of current exception is ConfigurationFailure
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature Analysis_Server_Full during timing ConfigNonRC and scenario ConfigNonRC.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: System.ApplicationException: The service could not be started. Reason:  Service 'MSSQLServerOLAPService' start request failed.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.AnalysisServices.ASConfigurationPrivate.HandleServiceStartUp()
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.AnalysisServices.ASConfigurationPrivate.Install_Startup(Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcb)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.AnalysisServices.ASConfigurationPrivate.InstallImpl(ConfigActionTiming timing, Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcb)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.AnalysisServices.ASConfigurationPrivate.Install(ConfigActionTiming timing, Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcbCurrent)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.PrivateConfigurationBase.Execute(ConfigActionScenario scenario, ConfigActionTiming timing, ConfigBaseAction action, Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcbCurrent)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.SqlFeatureConfigBase.Execute(ConfigActionScenario scenario, ConfigActionTiming timing, ConfigBaseAction action, Dictionary`2 actionData, PublicConfigurationBase spcbCurrent)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.SlpConfigAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlConfigBase.SlpConfigAction.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Exception: System.ApplicationException.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.ASExtension.
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Message: The service could not be started. Reason:  Service 'MSSQLServerOLAPService' start request failed..
    2010-10-05 11:17:45 Slp: Watson Bucket 1

Anything ring a bell?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Hi Todd,

What’s the SSAS server account? Is it possible the account lack of sufficient permission to create/open required files? In services.msc check the properties of the instance. At the "Path to executable" you can see from where the msmdsrv.ini file is loaded. Is it the correct path?

Another similar thread you may need to check:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlanalysisservices/thread/221be6b0-d57f-4d2c-8f03-1ffa77b51541

Thanks,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Todd C Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Raymond:

Thanks for sticking with me. I have tried changing the Service Account via the SQL Server Configuration Utility and when I specify a new account, I get an error there as well. I think it does in fact let me change the service account, but every time I try to then start the service, I get that WMI error Provider failure 0x80041004. I have tried every account I could: my account with password, Local Service, Local System, and NT Authority Network Service. I know that I also specified "Add current User to Administrators" when installing everything.

As backround info: Windows XP, fresh install, ALL service packs and critical updates, Dot NET Framework 3.5 as a minimum, I may have 4.0 on there as well, can't remember.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Hello Todd,

1. Can you click / Start run, type services.msc and check is any of the SQL Server / agent / SQL browser / or Analysis Service (AS) is disabled , if any SQL Service disabled set to Manual or automatic.

2. If Analysis Service is installed, can you start and see if you are able to start from services.

Please let me know the results. If some sql service is disabled, you can enable them and try to install again.

Thank You

Jayaprakash JO - MSFT

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:32 PM
    Answerer
  • After reading Raymond-Lee's link about clearing the Application Log under Event Viewer, I did just that and the service now starts.

I submitted a Feedback bug here: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/615587/ssas-service-wont-start-after-install-until-application-log-is-purged

• Proposed as answer by WadeJack Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:41 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I ran into this trying to start SQL Browser Service on a fresh install of SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a fresh Windows 2008 R2 Server.

This seems to fail depending on the order of your actions. If the Start Mode in SQL Server Configuration Manager is set to "Other (Disabled, ...)" and you try to change the logon account first you will get the WMI Service Error below:

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. [0x80070422]"

To successfully change the account, follow these steps:

1.) Under the Sql Server Browser Properties box, go to the Service tab and change the Start Mode to Automatic or Manual and click Apply.

2.) Now go to the Log On tab and change the logon account. Should be successful.

HTH!

~ Wade
    • Proposed as answer by WadeJack Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:43 PM
    • Edited by WadeJack Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:48 PM corrected typo in error text
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:42 PM