State of Databases. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have two database that are setup to working in a Mirroring mode, the first one is with the "Principal" state and the second one is on "Mirror, Synchronized/Restoring...", but I just can access the first one. Is there some way to access the both databases, or everything is OK and can I access just the database that is in "Principal" state? For me everything is good, because the failover is working fine automaticaly and there are no data loss.

Monday, August 10, 2020 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Diego,

This is normal behavior. In the database mirroring configuration, you can only directly access the principal database and perform database query, modification, database management and other operations. Only a few operations (such as restoring database backups) are not allowed to be performed due to database mirroring restrictions.

The mirror database is inaccessible, it cannot be set to readable mode and read-only applications such as reports can be run on it to share the burden of the principal server. This is different from Log Shipping or Always on availability groups.

However, you can create a snapshot for the mirror database so that you can indirectly access the data in the mirror database. Those applications used for report query can obtain data through the snapshot of the mirror server, which can reduce the workload of the principal server, but in this way, the data obtained by the report program must lag behind the actual data.

For more details please refer to the  Database Mirroring and Database Snapshots (SQL Server) .

Best regards,
    Cris

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:46 AM
  • Hi Diego,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Best Regards,
    Cris

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 7:40 AM
  • Hi Diego,

I am writing to follow up this thread with you. Have you solved your issue? 

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

Monday, August 17, 2020 1:22 AM