What is Error 3286 RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone give a hint what is Error 3286? I could not find the description of this error. Here's full text of error.

Msg 3286, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Backup failed because there is a mismatch in file metadata for file 65537.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

What is "file 65537" and what does this error mean?

Thanks beforehand!

There is no knowledge that is not power.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I guess this can point to coruption of database for which you are trying to take backup. I would suggest you to run below command on database .

DBCC CHECKDB(DB_NAME) WITH NO_INFOMSGS,ALL_ERRORMSGS

there is an option even to backup corrupt database ( depending on amount of corruption) you can use CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:42 AM
  • But what is "file 65537"?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:18 AM

A file number is just a referance to keep track for pages stored in data file.YOu have to run dbcc page command,which is undocumented, to get more information.What does this means is when during backup ,thread was trying to read apage from file which was 65537 it found it corrupt so stopped.Now can we get backup to question and can you share DBCC CHECKDB result.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:32 AM
  • dbcc

checkdb(MyDBWithFilstream)

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'MyDBWithFilestream'.

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

I can share a full report, but where is no errors

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:15 AM
  • DBCC

CHECKDB(MyDBWithFilestream)WITH NO_INFOMSGS,ALL_ERRORMSGS

Command(s) completed successfully.

BACKUP

DATABASE...WITH CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR

points to the same error

• Edited by Sashuk Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:21 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Does your database has filestream ? Are you backing to disk or tape ?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:33 AM

It could be part of the corruption. 65537 is the same bits as the number 1, but with one more 1 set. That is, it could be a bit that is incorrectly set somewhere.

If you look in sys.master_files and sys.database_files for this database, do you see this fileid?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:44 AM
  • Does your database has filestream ? Are you backing to disk or tape ?

Yes, the base has a filestream and backuping is on the disk.

• Edited by Sashuk Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Yes, in sys.master_files i see row with file_id = 65537 and he has size zero

but it is not in the sys.database_files

• Edited by Sashuk Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:08 PM
  • I used to have sql server 2008 R2 database was three files. And when you try to make a backup, he said to put the update.
    I upgrade to sql server 2012 version. Then became two files in the database, but the blobs are working correctly. But backups error occurs.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:25 PM
  • I used to have sql server 2008 R2 database was three files. And when you try to make a backup, he said to put the update.
    I upgrade to sql server 2012 version. Then became two files in the database, but the blobs are working correctly. But backups error occurs.

How come question was posted by Jhony and you are giving answers are these two profiles same ? If same why two profiles ?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:39 PM
  • How come question was posted by Jhony and you are giving answers are these two profiles same ? If same why two profiles ?

Jhony helps me on this issue. And a primary problem occurred to me.
    • Edited by Sashuk Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Shanky

The thing is that this question was asked by Sashuk on one forum, but noone answered. So, I decided to help him and asked here. So, he's the one with problem.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:56 PM
  • The error condition is caused by a mismatch in metadata between master_files and database_files.

This can happen if the log fills up while adding a file. Try adding more log and restart the database.

Thanks,

Jos

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:00 PM
  • I have SQL Server 2008 R2 database consisting of three files. And when I try to backup, the error appears which says that I need to install all updates and make an upgrade.
    I have upgraded to SQL Server 2012. After that there are two files in database instead of three, but the BLOBs are working correctly (i.e. FILESTREAM tables work correctly). But still the backup throws error.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Can you share the errorlog, both from database upgrade and when trying to take the backup?

Have you tried adding more space to the log and restarting the database?

Thanks,

Jos

Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:26 PM