none
Report Builder & Mobile Reports Publisher Bugs RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone is able to assist with this.  We are actively attempting to use SSRS 2016 with Report Builder 2016 & Mobile Report Publisher 2016 to spearhead a new customer portal for our business. Unfortunately, there is a nasty list of BUGS and workarounds building up for core functionality of the product.  Without fixes in place, it makes the product in a business environment almost infeasible.

Some of the bugs/workarounds we have encountered include:

dataset parameters in Mobile Reports do not work without manually editing the mobile report file.

datasets can't be re-edited in the query designer without manually editing the report file.

Cannot use date filter/picker in mobile reports when connected to SSAS Tabular model without creating a custom date measure which then causes incorrect results in report.

Unable to pass a dynamic parameter into a report before rendering it.  The parameter must be pre-determined and stored within the report.  This one really get's me, I mean, seriously??? Anyone who has worked with reports KNOWS you MUST be able to dynamically pass parameters into a report before you render it.  How this was missed is beyond me??  In the programming world, this would be like writing a function where the parameters have to be pre-determined.  You just wouldn't do that because it makes the parameters pointless.

Mobile Reports do not retain the color scheme when re-opened in the designer, sounds like a small issue but has resulted in reports with different color schemes.

• Edited by Phill D Monday, August 22, 2016 12:29 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 12:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Phill,

1 - Can you provide some repro steps for this: "Dataset parameters in Mobile Reports do not work without manually editing the mobile report file."?

2- Re "SSAS requires custom date measure for mobile reports" - we realize this is less than ideal, but the workaround in place should not be giving you different results, at least with my testing through adventure works.  Are you also using a fiscal offset? Can you provide some repro steps so we can try it here?

3- Re "Unable to pass a dynamic parameter into a report before rendering it." - if you are embedding the mobile report into a website and need to pass dynamic parameter, you can specify it using the querystring by url encoding the value you want to pass in.  Example: I have a Load on Demand Dataset with Parameters which should have a category which will be pre populated - I leave this as default value.

Then when I view the report I can pass in the url encoded name of the Dataset and parameter with the key value in the querystring - in my case I use UNIQUE_NAME in my query.

TimeChartLoD.category=%5BProduct%5D.%5BProduct%20Categories%5D.%5BCategory%5D.%26%5B4%5D

This will then pass that value through to the server and get my load on demand results.

3 - Re: "Mobile Reports do not retain the color scheme when re-opened in the designer" - we've already got a fix for this in place and it will be shipping in the August 2016 release of Mobile Report Publisher.

Hope this helps.

Monday, August 22, 2016 3:30 PM
  • I'm going to have to reply to you in parts because the developer who encountered most of these problems is not here today.

For problem 1, see here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35bcf961-3a0f-48b5-b3ce-dea48d8cb232/parameters-in-mdx-query-disappear-sql-server-2016?forum=sqlanalysisservices and here

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/2823260/deploying-datasets-in-ssrs-2016-rtm-fails-with-error

2.  The problem occurs when connecting a dataset to an SSAS tabular model with more than 1 table.  By defining the date as a measure, it skews the sums/results in the report.  Detailed here

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9b205983-809b-4541-acb9-6286da697fce/canot-connect-ssrs-mobile-timeline-navigator-to-dataset-from-ssas-tabular-model?forum=sqlreportingservices

3.  I need to get more detail from my programmer on this, he made the following MSDN Post but didn't get a straight answer.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa9911b8-99ad-4cbf-b3d7-44cb9f640b36/ssrs-2016-mobile-reports-available-to-customers?forum=sqlreportingservices

4. Glad to hear a fix is coming.

If you need anymore information or examples, please ask and I will provide more detail.  We did a cleanup last week so a lot of bad dataset and non working reports have been deleted.  I can re-create them if I need to. 

Monday, August 22, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Could you provide more information on 3 and how you load the report from a custom web page with the required parameter.  Per the MSDN post, we need to be able to filter for a specific customer's data before the report content is viewed.

Also, all the work we have performed has been with SSAS Tabular Models containing multiple tables.  Also, all of the reports and datasets use MDX.

Thanks

Monday, August 22, 2016 4:08 PM
  • I so feel your pain, This mobile designer is a pain in the butt. I wish they could team up the way they do it with power BI and fix the bunch of issues/limitations they have just the way Power BI team releases upgrades, after all, this solution is available for the nice sum of 14K to start with. 

I'm trying to call a SP from the "add data" button, and it keeps telling me I have an error converting the value from nvarchar to date. All the output fields are formatted and it still keeps saying that.

Adding to this, a lot of limitations to look at: fonts, colouring the charts in our way, being able to add images, eg: branding. When adding a filter to the report and this is a date, it displays it like a large datetime value even if the field was set as a date from the source. It is so frustrating to see the value as 2016-08-22T00:00:00 GMT.. etc,  and not 2016-08-22 alone.

Monday, August 22, 2016 10:40 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

I work with Phill and have also been looking into this issue.  

Can you point us in the right direction for creating Load On Demand Datasets?  We are running SQL Server 2016 on an in-house server and are not using Azure. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:06 PM
  • When I try to add a dataset with parameters to a mobile report, I get the following error:

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Hi Daniel J L,

You need to specify a default value for this dataset parameter @Test. After binding the dataset to mobile report, you can then change default value for parameter.

Thanks,
    Yuliana Gu

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Yuliana,

Are you using a newer unreleased version of the Report Builder or /Mobile Reports Publisher?  Per the post right above yours, whenever we try to connect Mobile Report Publisher to ANY parameterized dataset that was created in the Report Builder (based on SQL Tables or SSAS Tabular Model) we simply get an error that Mobile Reports Publisher cannot connect to the dataset.  We cannot get to the option you specified because the Mobile Report Publisher does not allow past the dataset connection screen.

Can you verify if you are using an SSAS tabular model as your source and if you are using unreleased versions of the tools.

Thanks

• Edited by Phill D Monday, August 29, 2016 12:41 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 12:27 PM
  • After checking again, I am able to connect to a report with a parameter ONLY if the connection and dataset is based on an SQL table, but NOT an SSAS Model.  We need to connect to SSAS Models, not flat SQL tables.
    Monday, August 29, 2016 1:48 PM
  • This is NOT the answer to the post! The response clearly states I am still not able to connect to an SSAS model with parameters.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Phill D Friday, September 2, 2016 8:15 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:14 PM