none
excel sheet variable columns RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I have an excel sheet that has variable number of columns and need to load this data  to sql.how do i accomplish the mapping in this scenario.

Thanks

Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

• Does the same excel sheet have different number of columns each time or do u have group of files with similar metadata while others different?

DFT cannot handle dynamic metadata. You Would have to use Script component to read the data and set the missing columns to blank or null.

Sudeep's Domain
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:30 AM
  • we need more information about ur files and the meta data.
    Sudeep's Domain
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:30 AM
  • i have a single excel file with many sheets and each sheet will have different set of columns which needs to be loaded.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:31 AM
  • i have a single excel file with many sheets and each sheet will have different set of columns which needs to be loaded.

In this case you need to use different Excel source with the SQl command for each sheet.

Let us TRY this |

http://quest4gen.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Please confirm whether the No of sheets are constant or keep on increase.

-- Sathish
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:29 PM
  • if the number of sheets are fixed and the name of the sheets are fixed and in each sheet it has it's own number of fields (and they are fixed)

you will have to hard code each sheet and each field you can have one DFT for all sheets , my experiance, its better to have multilpe DFT one for each sheet.

we need more examples on how the sheets are been layed out, and the fields and how dynamic they are in sheets and number of field .

What about the fields names do they change?????

Sincerely SH --MCTS 2005 & 2008 MCITP 2008 -- Please kindly mark the post(s) that answered your question and/or vote for the post(s)
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:40 PM
  • each sheet has 10 fixed columns and the remaining columns are dynamic.the sheet names are fixed..

Thank you for your inputs

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:01 AM