How to successfully install SQL Server Express 2005 64-bit on Windows 10 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

If you found this post useful and answer what you're looking for, please chime in.

Foreword

I was frustrated when I tried to install SQL Server Express 2005 64-bit on a new Win 10 tablet (Intel Cherrytrail) Home Edition 64-bit, wait, in case you're wondering why would I install an old SQL system on a brand new hardware and OS it's because our small company is still relying on that old SQL system, and we yet to find a software dev who can port all of our old SQL database to newer SQL Server. Not to mention Microsoft is adding backward compatibility limitations in every new SQL Server releases... The quickest and cheapest solution is to keep using the old SQL system on newer computers.

So, continuing on the issue, I kept receiving these errors during installation:

1. An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli_x64.msi'
    2. The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."

I've tried all of the workarounds found on various websites and forums to no avail, apparently the solution is a very easy one. If you're facing the same error messages, then read on, hopefully what works for me will work for you too.

The issues & the solution

The first issue (no. 1 up there) is caused by incompatibility of 32-bit software on 64-bit system, meaning I mistakenly launched the 32-bit version of SQL Server Express 2005 installer. At first I didn't realised it and tried the method that is said to successfully remedy the issue: by extracting the 'sqlncli_x64.msi' and move both the 'SQLSERVR.EXE' and 'SQLOS.DLL' files into the installation folder. After that didn't work for three times, I uninstalled the whole SQL Server related installations and tried one more time with the installation file which I downloaded from Microsoft's website. And it works, I passed the SQL Server Native Client process and continue to the SQL Server Database Services process, the last process.

That's when I encountered issue no. 2; where the installer kept saying it can't start the SQL Server service. Again, the solution offered by others are by moving both the extracted 'SQLSERVR.EXE' and 'SQLOS.DLL' files into the installation folder. I've tried this three times and yet the installer still couldn't finish the installation properly.

I also tried giving security access to Network Service in the installation folder's security option, and in the SQL Server folders as well. It didn't work.

I was ready to throw the white towel, but luckily I have a big brother who's a real "nerd". He always keep old files in his NAS and never delete them no matter what, so after hearing about this issue with SQL Server Express 2005, he offered me access to his archives to search for an old SQL Server Express 2005 SP4 64-bit installer. I found the file, launched it on the new Win 10 64-bit tablet, and voila everything installed properly and without a hitch whatsoever! It only took around 6-8 minutes for the installation to successfully complete, and now I can run the SQL-based database app again on the new tablet.

Conclusion

I still couldn't believe that the official SQL Server Express 2005 installer I've recently downloaded from Microsoft's website is not working, but instead an old installation file dusted off from the past do the job flawlessly. This is the main reason I'm sharing this story, I know how stressful it is, especially when your source of income is depending on it. And hopefully my story can help you too.

One more note

I've tried looking in every websites for that particular installer: SQL Server Express 2005 SP4 64-bit, but couldn't find it, not even in Microsoft's official pages. This raises a couple of questions in my mind, which I dare not say on this forum. Hopefully you guys have better luck than me, cheers.

Dhow here.

• Edited by Dhow Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:18 AM

All replies

• I was frustrated when I tried to install SQL Server Express 2005 64-bit on a new Win 10 tablet (Intel Cherrytrail)

First, SQL Server 2005 is already & completely out of support.

Second, SQL Server 2005 isn't supported on Windows 10 at all; see Using SQL Server in Windows 8 and later versions of Windows operating system

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:04 PM
  • I was frustrated when I tried to install SQL Server Express 2005 64-bit on a new Win 10 tablet (Intel Cherrytrail)

First, SQL Server 2005 is already & completely out of support.

Second, SQL Server 2005 isn't supported on Windows 10 at all; see Using SQL Server in Windows 8 and later versions of Windows operating system

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Olaf,

Thanks for replying, appreciate it.

Yes of course, it's 'already & completely' out of support. And yes like you said, obviously it's not supported on Windows 10 'at all' by Microsoft.

I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you're trying to say here...

Dhow here.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you're trying to say here...

And I don't understand why you wrote this post. It's well documented that SQL Server isn't supported/on Windows 10.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:53 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you're trying to say here...

And I don't understand why you wrote this post. It's well documented that SQL Server isn't supported/on Windows 10.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Olaf,

I was trying to be nice when I was replying to your first post, especially to an MVP with over 240k points in his belt, pretty sure this guy read my post and understand that was what I thought, but clearly you're fishing for a fight. So this means the nice-guy-glove is off and we can start slapping each others cheek for courtesy.

Which part of my post you don't get it?

I clearly said "old SQL system" to point out that I know the SQL Server Express 2005 is an out of support software / system. And I also said "brand new hardware and OS" to point out that the SQL Server Express 2005 is way outdated for those two, and of course not supported anymore.

And as for the rest of other reasons, I've already wrote them on the first paragraph in Foreword. I think it's very clear why I wrote this post.

You do read the whole post, right? You're an MVP, I suppose you do read a lot of posts here. But maybe too many and too much, that you're starting to bully a small poster like me? This is the first time I get such reply from Technet forum after all this time, I thought avid posters with MVP title in here were all very polite and understanding people.

You do realise my post is not a question asking for help, but a post to share my experience and to help others who have the same issue as I do: we have no choice but to keep using outdated (yes, also already & completely out of support as in your words) SQL system because not every small business can afford to pay software dev to port our database to newer system (which I obviously have said too in my first post).

I really believe Technet forum is for that purpose, to help others, like when I received tips and helps from other users here, which more than often it was not some kind of documentation but a personal experience from the users.

And that Olaf is why I wrote my post.

*Note: English is not my main language, so forgive me if I wrote something wrong. Wait. On second thought, never mind, I don't care since I'm replying to a bully like you.

Dhow here.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Dhow first off all thanks for sharing your experience here and I totally agree with what you have posted about SQL Server 2005 I am glad you were able to solve the issue with help of your brother. 

Please let me know if you need any further help. I guess Olaf only wanted to communicate that SQL Server 2005 is not supported on Windows 10 which, as you wrote, you already know. Sometimes we tend to read question in all together different way and respond differently. I guess this is what we are seeing in the thread.

If you need further intervention my emailid is in my Technet wiki link we can take the matter offline.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Shashank,

Thank you so much for your understanding, it's been a while that I've already forgotten how angry I was at Olaf,  hopefully he'll get what he's deserved.

Thank you, but no need for further intervention from you, thanks for the offer.

Dhow here.

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:39 PM removed cuss word
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Very Good

• Edited by Amir-Win10 Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:09 PM
  • I am running somewhat similar but not the same issue. I need 2005 version reporting services as newer versions have discontinued some features. I also use 2014 version SSRS. I cannot export a matrix in CSV format, it converts to one column export. EXCEL works fine but the requirement os to auto export in CSV format only. Old IIs version 7.X will not install on windows 10. I am not sure what my options are at this moment. My report uses matrix, I could convert to Tablix. But all 46 columns(max in my case) will require show/hide expressions. In the development stage, this matrix works fine as it loads the number of columns user selects at run time. When I try to install Reporting Services from 2005 SQL Server CD ,  RS option is greyed out because of IIS mismatch.
    Monday, October 7, 2019 12:14 AM
  • Hi Dhow, 

Thanks for the interesting article. I work in a UK hospital and the Microsoft steamroller is (not unreasonably) compelling us to upgrade all our PCs to Win10.

The problem is we have one particular package that absolutely requires MSSQL2005 to access patient data  from a certain class of eye scanners. You say you got a particular installation package to work on a Win10/x64 system, how can we get a hold of this package, directly or indirectly, for us to give it a  try?

Cheers,

Phaethon

• Edited by Phaethon Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:17 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:16 AM
  • Hi Phaethon,

You can download it from here: https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2005-Express-Edition-Service-Pack-4/3001-10254_4-75452276.html

It he above link doesn't work, google CNET Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks,

MFig

Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:13 AM
  • Thank you so much!  I was looking for that!  You are so kind!
    Friday, July 31, 2020 3:03 PM