none
ReportExecutionService/ReportExecutionServiceSoapClient? RRS feed

• Question

• I am very confused about this. When porting a script task from SSRS 2008 and SSRS 2012 I seem to have lost access to the ReportExecutionService object,  the nearest object I can find is ReportExecutionServiceSoapClient. Am sure that I have tried adding the ReportExection2005 reference as both a Service Reference and an Advanced/Web Reference. I understand that the latter should be correct. Perhaps I just need to take deep breath and start again, but if anyone can tell thinking of some obscure mistake that I am making please let me know.

R Campbell

Friday, November 7, 2014 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Dick,

I can't confirm, the ReportExecutionService Class is still available in SSRS 2012 when it's added as "Web reference" (Soap Client).

Only when you add it as "Service Reference" you have only the "...Soap"/"...SoapClient" available like here:

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Friday, November 7, 2014 7:34 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I won't able to get access to the system under Monday but experimenting with this at home I can see that things are exactly as you say. I think that I got so absorbed in trying to sort out coding details and missed the subtle difference.

I guess my expectation was that, no matter how you reference http://localhost/reportserver/reoprtsexecution2005.asmx, the same object model would be exposed. It would be less potentially confusing if the they had different names in my opinion. From my web searching on the subject, I am not the only person to find this out the hard way.

Thanks again for clarifying this. 

R Campbell

Friday, November 7, 2014 7:34 PM
  • It might help others to summarise the difference between Service Reference and Web Service Reference.

Web Service Reference - Predates WCF and is HTTP specific. It is platform independent but has less "flexibility".

Service Reference (WCF) - Platform specific (W is for Windows) but more extensive and flexible and not restricted to HTTP.

The thing to watch for, when upgrading (in my case to SSIS 2012), is that you are not unknowingly moved from the "traditional" web services to WCF when you are not ready to spend time converting your code. Be aware that the same asmx reference can yield traditional web service objects or WCF objects depending on the way it is added as a reference.

If I have gotten any of this wrong I am happy for someone with more knowledge of the subject to correct me.

R Campbell

Friday, November 7, 2014 9:42 PM