none
Integrate SQL Azure Reporting in SharePoint- Security Model RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have couple of reports which are deployed to SQL Azure Reporting and i am able to access them using the Reporting Portal. My Requirement is i have to integrate these reports in SharePoint and i don't want to hardcode the security here. As per my understanding with current CTP i am following the below steps, Can somebody verify this?

1.  I have deployed the reports in Azure which is using the Shared Datasources from SQL Azure. I have to store the username and Password in the shared datasource. Considering this is one time setup, am ok with this at the moment. (Question: In case if have to promote from one environment to other what’s the easy way to change the user name and password without going into BIDS and modify the datasource?)

2.  I have verified that i am able to access the reports using Reporting Portal with the user name associated with my Reporting subscription. (Question: Can i add users to the reporting, or I should only use the reporting user which was created automatically when i provisioned the reporting?)

3.  Inside the reporting portal i don't see a option to delete, edit or classify the reports. (Question: How can i delete the existing report or datasource from the report portal? Also if i change some properties in the shared data source and redeploy the datasource it doesn't seem to update.)

4.  Now that i have url which i can use to access the reports, I have added a Page Viewer in my sharepoint portal to access these reports. (Question: How can i avoid the typing username and password to access these reports every time the user accesses this page? I don't want to use the "remember me" since if two users from the same machine access these reports i don't want them to see the same reports. This takes me back to the first question i asked, how can i implement the security model so that i can distinguish the reports between the users?

5.  If using the Pageviewer is the right option, then navigation seems to be impossible. Since we only have one user to access the whole reporting, the user will have access to all the reports and datasources. (Question: If the user has navigated to reports, how can he come back to the listings so that he can access the reports? Right now clicking on back button from the browser seems to be the only option.)

I am not sure i am in the right path here, since it's still in CTP i assume the Security model and the navigation will get better. And also there will be good direction to integrate the SQL Azure reports into SharePoint.

I really appreciate all your inputs here. Thank you!

Jegatheesh Rengasamy
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Try to address your embedded questions:

1. Data Source management functions will be part of the portal in the next CTP. You should be able to change data source credential from the portal

2. User management functions will be part of the portal in the next CTP. You can add users from portal as an admin

3. The "portal" you referred is just WSDL page which is 'read-only'. The new portal in next CTP should include item management functions

4. In V1, we only support Forms Auth with SQL Azure login (user/password), the only solution for your scenario is to build a ASP.NET app that handles the identity mapping and authentication in your own code. There is no native integration with SharePoint in v1.

5. Again, we don’t provide SharePoint integration in v1. This is evaluated and may be considered in later releases.

- Yi Liao    MSFT

Yi Liao - Microsoft
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:32 AM

All replies

• Try to address your embedded questions:

1. Data Source management functions will be part of the portal in the next CTP. You should be able to change data source credential from the portal

2. User management functions will be part of the portal in the next CTP. You can add users from portal as an admin

3. The "portal" you referred is just WSDL page which is 'read-only'. The new portal in next CTP should include item management functions

4. In V1, we only support Forms Auth with SQL Azure login (user/password), the only solution for your scenario is to build a ASP.NET app that handles the identity mapping and authentication in your own code. There is no native integration with SharePoint in v1.

5. Again, we don’t provide SharePoint integration in v1. This is evaluated and may be considered in later releases.

- Yi Liao    MSFT

Yi Liao - Microsoft
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Thanks for your responce Yi Liao.

Say, i am writing custom ASP.NET app to handle the identiy mapping. How will i authenticate the user against the portal without the user interaction even if i know the user name and password? Is there a way where i can pass the user name and password in the URL and i can directly navigate to the report? Thanks!

Jegatheesh Rengasamy
    Friday, April 8, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

Can you use the ASP.NET Report Viewer Control? You can then implement the IReportServerCredentials Class.

Yi Liao - Microsoft
    Friday, April 8, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

I created a custom ASP.net app and implemented IRportServerCredentials Class and it's working fine. I have used PageViewer webpart to display the custom asp.net page wihch has the SQL azure report and it's also working fine.

But i created a custom visual webpart, the authentication and report url is working, however the report is not rendering. It's keep refreshing, the only info i found in ULS trace is Execution time is somewhere between, 150 to 200 ms. It's nowhere near to timeout value and i don't understand what’s stopping/blocking.

ULS Message: Leaving Monitored Scope (Request (POST:http://localhost:80/Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd?OpType=SessionKeepAlive&ControlID=91a910e1539143b9bcd427af8a2c92ee)). Execution Time=1624.8916164423

Jegatheesh Rengasamy
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:59 AM
  • As soon as i posted it, i found the issue. Within postback any code changes the state of the reportviewer then the report will try to refresh automatically. Setting the reportservercredentials changes the report server state, so check !IsPostback.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brianhartman/archive/2010/03/21/reports-never-stop-loading-with-vs-2010.aspx 

Jegatheesh Rengasamy
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:10 AM