none
Redistribute msmdpump.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Could I redistribute msmdpump.dll?

I try to make a application that will configure HTTP access to SSAS. (About methodology, see this msdn site)

When web server and db server is separated, it is needed to copy msmdpump.dll from db server to web server. That action may cause some trouble, so I decided to do that programmatically.

The only way that I can achieve this requirement is to include msmdpump.dll to my installer so that the application can use msmdpump.dll on its demand and never force to user do anything.

The biggest concern is the licence on msmdpump.dll, and hope to know it is OK or not to do this.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:37 AM

Answers

• licensing apart....distributing product dll  might be a bad idea because then your clients are tied to a version of a DLL which is tied to a version of SQL.

tomorrow this can create a problem when you are upgrading / patching SSAS.

Better thing to do would be to write a web service .. that way you don't have to distribute msmdpump.dll to every client... but just update the web service in case of upgrade.

val it: unit=()

Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:37 AM

All replies

• licensing apart....distributing product dll  might be a bad idea because then your clients are tied to a version of a DLL which is tied to a version of SQL.

tomorrow this can create a problem when you are upgrading / patching SSAS.

Better thing to do would be to write a web service .. that way you don't have to distribute msmdpump.dll to every client... but just update the web service in case of upgrade.

val it: unit=()

Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:37 AM
  • It's correct, unless I have no time to write and test my web services.

Or there is any samples for the kind of web service, that will be great help for me.

Thanks,

Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:38 AM
  • It's correct, unless I have no time to write and test my web services.

Or there is any samples for the kind of web service, that will be great help for me.

Thanks,

Is this a question?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, June 10, 2013 4:33 AM
    Owner
  • Making a own web services for HTTP Access to SSAS is better way, but I have no idea how to make it. I have poor experience with web services development.

Is there any tutorials that help me to create a web services with SSAS?

By the way, my requirement was accomplished by using msmdpump.dll so that I want to use it instead of my web services. It will save much time.

But there is no describe about redistributing of msmdpump.dll. I hope to include msmdpump.dll in my installer so that user need not to copy & paste it by themselves.

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:54 AM