none
Where is "BIDS" in Sql Server 2014? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have read posts indicating is has been replaced by SSDT-BI but I have been unable to find the proper module to install. (The ones I found assume that Visual Studio is installed which isn't the case for our sql server box). URL appreciated.

TIA,

edm2

P.S. Am I supposed to download and install Visual Studio on our Sql Server before installing BIDS or SSDT-BI?

• Edited by edm2 Monday, August 24, 2015 10:32 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 10:25 PM

All replies

• BIDS has been renamed as Data Tools. You should be able to install from the SQL Server ISOs. 
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:07 AM
  • From SQL server 2012 onwards BIDS is replaced with SSDT. SSDT (Sql server Data tools).

You need to download separately and install. After your installation you will see an icon on your desktop with visual studio. Open that and create your project.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:23 AM
  • Piotr,

You hit the nail on the head! I had downloaded the SSDT for Visual Studio 2015 and that failed to install. Your URL pointing to SSDT for Visual Studio 2013 worked fine with Sql 2014.

I opened the Visual Studio 2012 (shell) installed -- but that was a deadend. I found  that "SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013" was the winning ticket. Finally the tools I wanted.

Thanks

edm2

P.S. The new SSIS objects look ugly and lack contrast.  Let's hope the 2016 SSIS objects don't use "invisible" ink!

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:57 AM