none
SSRS Reporting Services - XML data source to Oracle DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all SSRS SuperUsers

I am quit new to SSRS Reporting services.

I have a question how to connect to an Oracle DB for reporting purpose in SSRS
    It's possible using a OLE DB or ODBC connection, but this required that an Oracle client are installed and setup ODBC connection on the developers computer. This method is not very generic and easy gets person dependend. This I will try to avoid.

According to documentation, it's possible to define a XML data source when adding a new SSRS data source for reporting. Is it possible to have this XML source further connected to an Oracle 11g database, in a way that the SQL select is entered in the XML and data selected from required Oracle tables?

Thank you. All suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Gunnar B Melby

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Gunnar,

What did you mean by "Is it possible to have this XML source further connected to an Oracel 11g database? "

Could you elaborate a bit? 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Good morning.
    I have updated the question in order to clarify the question.

Thanks

Gunnar B Melby

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:08 PM
  • but this required that an Oracle client are installed

Every data Connection to a data source requires a fitting data provider and here it is ODAC = "Oracle Data Access Component", which is free available; so just install it on Server and developer machine.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:39 AM