none
Report and Report Server Sites won't Start (Error creating HTTP endpoint) RRS feed

• Question

• @#$% you MSDN forms! I just lost my post, and I had to type it in AGAIN. Grr!

Anyway, back to my other problem.

I have a SQL Server Reporting Services installation with the following characteristics:

• SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2
    • Developer Edition
    • 64-bit
    • Client Tools, Integration, Analysis, and Report Services Installed
    • Host is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

I completed the service's configuration today. I went to access the installation's web service and report manager sites; however, they're unaccessible. By that I mean, I request the page and nothing gets returned. The report service log shows the following entry:

rshost!rshost!5c4!02/07/2013-15:17:57:: e ERROR: Failed to initialize listener for type 2.
    dbpolling!WindowsService_0!820!02/07/2013-15:17:57:: i INFO: EventPolling polling service started
    servicecontroller!DefaultDomain!e24!02/07/2013-15:17:57:: e ERROR: Error creating HTTP endpoint. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.HostingInterfaces.IRsUnmanagedCallback.CreateHttpEndpoint(RsAppDomainType application, String[] urlPrefixes, Int32 cPrefixes, String[] hosts, Int32 cHosts, Boolean wildCardPresent, String virtualDirectory, String filePath, Int32 authType, Int32 logonMethod, String authDomain, String authRealm, Boolean authPersist, Int32 extendedProtectionLevel, Int32

The reportserver.config file looks right. I can see the URL has been reserved in HTTP.SYS. There is no firewall blocking the site's port. There is nothing else using the site's port. If I add the report server service's account to the local "Administrator" group, everything works fine. If it isn't in that group, the site's aren't accessible.

What am I missing here?

• Edited by Crazy Adam Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:28 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Adam,

From you description, you cannot access to the Report Manager, right? On a new report server installation, only users who are members of the local Administrator group have permissions to report server content and operations. To make the report server available to other users, you must create role assignments that map user or group accounts to a predefined role that specifies a collection of tasks. For the details information about it, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156034.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281384.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the quick response.

It's not that the sites are online and I don't have permission to access them. It's that the site's won't come online unless I make SSRS' service-account a local administrator.

~CA

Adam

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:13 PM
  • The service account wasn't a part of the "Bypass Traverse Checking" local security policy. Once the account was added to that policy, the issue was resolved.

Adam

• Marked as answer by Crazy Adam Friday, February 8, 2013 7:03 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 7:03 PM