Microsoft SQL Server 2012 error:233 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a user AdminGuy on SQL Server 2012 Express.

I gave this ID all the power setting I could find. It appears as though it gets through the login process however I get this error:

Cannot connect to XX\MSSQLSERVER2012. (where XX is the machine name)

Additional Information:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error:0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

No process is on the other end of the pipe.

What am I missing here?

For clarification purposes:

I can attach to this database using Windows Authentication from either my application or through SQL Server Management Studio.

If I try to connect to the database via a login/password authentication I get this error. It does not make any difference if it's by adding a new server connection via Visual Studio, a connection string in the application or via MS SQL Server Management Studio.

This appears to be an equal opportunity vexing issue.

T Mann

Tom Mann MCSD C#

• Edited by T_Mann Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:52 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tom,

As shown in the link below, use SQL Server Configuration Manager to enable the Network Protocols Named Pipes & Shared Memory for the instance of SQL Server and try again.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175496%28v=sql.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191294.aspx

Hope this helps

Thanks

Bhanu

• Marked as answer by T_Mann Friday, October 9, 2015 2:33 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:42 PM
  • Is the instance enabled for SQL Server authentication?

Do you see any messages in the SQL Server errorlog that corresponds to these login failures?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Looks like a sql instance is configured only for Windows Authentication only ? you have to verify the Authentication method of your sql server using server property.. if the same sql instance is working fine with windows login and not working via sql login, correct ?

If the above statement is correct then verify the sql instance Authentication mode...

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

• Marked as answer by T_Mann Friday, October 9, 2015 2:33 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2015 1:51 AM
  • If the above statement is correct then verify the sql instance Authentication mode...

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

Where do I find this setting/form?

I'm currently using SQL Server Management Studio

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Friday, October 9, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Thanks Bhanu, that got me 90% of the way there.

I'm working on the next SQL Server Error which is 18456.

Raja suggested it might lie in the authentication mode. I'm checking into where/how I can set that now.

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Friday, October 9, 2015 1:05 PM
  • Found it. That was the final piece.

I'm up and running now.

Thanks everyone.

Tom Mann MCSD C#

Friday, October 9, 2015 2:33 PM