none
Unable to connect to existing DS. Build test says OK but issues "Password Missing" error RRS feed

• Question

• Error [IM006]  Trying to connect to db with reason code 3 = "Password Missing"

I am trying to work with PowerPivot installed today. My OCDB sources are showing. I can select one and build and test a connection string. But after returning to the main dialog, next produces an error indicating I am trying to connect with an invalid password. I have tried this with 2007 working connections and new connections. In each case the test connection works in the build screen but failed in the next screen with the same error. I retested the connection in 2007 and it does work ok. Bummer. The password is in the string and is valid.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Gerald,

Could you clarify what product you are referring to when you say 2007, is it office 2007, if so how did you test the "2007 working connections" with PowerPivot? If you could provide the detail on your test, it would help understand the problem.

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Yes they were from an Office 2007 data source in an existing workbook. I tried a couple that I have. They do work in XL2007. When doing the build connection, the DB's I want to use show up in the list. I can select one and enter my name and password and press the test connection and it reports ok. In 2007 they return tables with a couple of hundred lines to a few hundred thousand lines which XL 07 chokes on in table format. Reason for excitement on 2010. 
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hi, Gerald,

To help narrow the problem area, can you try to connect to the same data source from the regular Pivot table in Excel 2010, would the connection work in regular Pivot table?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:45 PM
  • OK here is the results of my testing. I had open both 2007 and 2010 simultaneously. I opened an existing source in 2007 and it ran ok. I opened the same source in 2010 it failed. I then exported the description file and opened that in 2010 and it ran to my surprise. This source prompts for a password as they change often. So I open PowerPivot to hopefully run the same connection that ran in 2010. When attempted the following Gemini Client model dialog appears "The test connection failed. The provider could not be initialized. This is the internal error message for support purposes. Reason: Provider Information is missing in the connection string, add the provider information and try again. If you are trying to connect using a Managed provider then choose the appropriate data source in the data source selection page, click Advanced and to pick the appropriate managed provider..." The connection string is as follows "DSN=DCCDB;UID=gartman;MODE=SHARE=DBALIAS=DCCDB" if I build a connections from and ODBC Source using the Table Import Wizard, I press the Build... button and select the DSN from the list (as I have done in 2007 and 2010, then enter the step 2 username and password. If click on the test connection, it reports success. Using either option, saving password or not will still generate and error in the main wizard display. The Connection String reads (with save PW on):"Provider=MSASQL;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=gartman;Initial Catalog=select the DSN from the selected;DSN=DCCDB;Password=***********". Next I tried copying the following connection string directly "DSN=DCCDB;UID=gartman;;MODE=SHARE;DBALIAS=DCCDB" which also generated the same error. It appears that there are a couple of issues. 1) it seems like the ODBC drivers are not compatible in PP as compared to XL. As a user, I expect if you let me select from a list of DSN's they should work with the right UID and PW. 2) I am not sure if the UI in build is transferring the proper stuff to connect to a DSN. If no PW is included, I would expect it to prompt for one as in 2007 or 2010 XL. It doesn't get that far or fails because of the missing item. 3) I assume that it is the intent not to limit PP to Access only DSN's and remain supporting ODBC drivers as my accounting systems at the hospital I work at are all ODBC open for Crystal and XL analysis and support.

TTFN
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Hi, Gerald,

Thank you for sharing the detail on your test. Can  you please log a bug through the connect web site so the product team can look into this?

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

Thanks,
    Lisa

Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Why? Don't you work for the same company? I thought I was trying to work with PowerPivot tools. Now you want me to rewrite everything somewhere else :-(
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Gerald, when filing a bug through connect, you can just paste this URL to save you from rewriting evrything again. The reason Lisa asked you to is because the Connect bugs go directly to Dev/Product group and through Connect, you can send any additional log files, etc that the Product group may need.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:15 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem as you, Gerald.

code 3 = "Password Missing"

I can connect with Acees, with Excel 2003 and excel 2007 and even excel 2010, but when I try to connect using Powerpivot I get code 3 = "Pasword Missing"   

I await the miscrosoft answer

maca
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:29 AM