none
Fact hierarchy in Cube RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I have a cube with three fact tables,  first one is Order header level information second one is order line item level information and next one is line item release level information. I have 2 requirement.

1.       I want to use the fact table as dimension table.

2.       I need to create the Hierarchies with in this 3 fact table

Any one can help me in this.

Saravanan s

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:58 PM

All replies

• I presume you are not looking for suggestions on the dimension model in data warehouse (you can’t/don’t want to touch that) and you are asking options only at cube level. So, I think Named Query approach would work in your case (though it can increase cube processing time considerably). If you want to create Order Header as a dimension, try to come-up with a SQL query that gets the Order Header data for dimension (rather than building the dimension from same fact table in DSV). Dimension can be built on this named query based view and linked to required fact/s. For creating hierarchy using the data from those 3 fact tables, you could use the same concept – create a named query based view in the DSV that gets required fields from the facts and build dimension & hierarchy (line -> Order etc)  from this named query based view (again, it’s going to increase cube processing time) – but with your current data warehouse structure (where Order Header etc are facts not dimensions), I feel this is the easy approach at cube level.
    ..hegde
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:52 AM