none
Export Wizard shows same database for Source and Destination RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using SSMS 2016.  I tried using the Export wizard to copy a table from one database to another.  I selected the source and destination databases, two different databases, the wizard page that displays both the source and destination shows the same database for both.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 11:53 PM

All replies

• I'm using SSMS 2016.  I tried using the Export wizard to copy a table from one database to another.  I selected the source and destination databases, two different databases, the wizard page that displays both the source and destination shows the same database for both.

Good day Richard,

First of all I HIGHLY recommend to use the latest version of SSMS 2017 (or even the new version 2019 which is in preview) and not an old version, after all this is free application and there is o reason to use old version which include bugs and does not support new features added to SQL Server and new tools which were added to SSMS!

Back to the question:

I uploaded a short full demo on howto do it:
    https://youtu.be/tv6TGW-pv8k

basically, you should select the source and destination databases as you see in the image bellow:

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:37 AM
  • I have installed version 17.9.1 of MMSM, and having the same problem.  Although the destination database is different from the source, the page showing both source and destination databases shows the same database.  The same thing happens doing an import on the destination database.  
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

1. Did you compare what you do with the video I uploaded?

2. Can you please post a screenshot of what you get so we will see what you mean

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Sorry I missed the video on the first read.  In the video you selected DB1 as the source, then Db2 as the destination. The page that shows the source and destination show Db1 for both.  Why are they the same?  The destination should be Db2, not Db1.
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Sorry I missed the video on the first read.  In the video you selected DB1 as the source, then Db2 as the destination. The page that shows the source and destination show Db1 for both.  Why are they the same?  The destination should be Db2, not Db1.

I watched Ronen's video. I did not see DB1 being listed as a destination. Can you please show us a screenshot, so that we know that you are talking about? If your account is not verified (which is needed be able to upload images), upload the screenshot elsewhere and post a link.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, January 12, 2019 6:21 PM

Hi,

Where do you see The page that shows the source and destination show Db1 for both. Can you tell me in which second in the video? I checked the video several time to confirm that there is no such place (which could be a bug in the display on the SSMS if there was something that shows wrong data)

Try to follow the video step by step. It is a live example which works and should work for you the same. In the meantime please upload a screenshot from your server or tell us which second in the video show the misleading information

You can provide link to the exact place in the video like this: Watch the video > find the exact frame you want to show us > pause the video > Click on "Share" > In the windows which is opened you have a checkbox to select "start at" > mark this checkbox and provide us with the link which should look like: https://youtu.be/tv6TGW-pv8k?t=93

The above example is a direct link to second 93 in the video.

* On the way, you can share the video in real (without "start at"), in your channels like Facebook, twitter, Google, linkedin, and more - please feel free to do so :-) 

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:34 PM
  • I have installed version 17.9.1 of MMSM, and having the same problem.  Although the destination database is different from the source, the page showing both source and destination databases shows the same database.  The same thing happens doing an import on the destination database.  

You started the wizard from source or from destination database?

Based on that the wizard window gets defaulted to the corresponding database when you select SQLServer provider and for the other database you need to select required value from the dropdown manually. You cant expect it to pick up both database names by itself.

i.e if starting from db1 using export option then source database name will be db1. for destination you need to choose db2 manually

if choosing import option from db2, source should be manually selected as db1 and destination will default to db2

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Nice point Visakh regarding the default option using import or export :-)
    +5

I DID NOT KNOW THIS myself :-)
    well, I do not use wizards, which explain why I did not noticed it, but it is good to know. Maybe I need to make another video and add this as comment...

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:02 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Whatever importing or exporting the data, the server name boxes for source and destination are editable. You can manually input the server name in the format "hostname\instance_name".

As mentioned by others, if it is convenient, could you please share us the screenshot for more details.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 14, 2019 5:48 AM