none
Installation Reporting Services on a domain controller is not supported.

Question

• Hi *,

i have set up a Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2 and installed Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Enterprise Edition on it. In general everything works fine. The purpose of this machine is to have a single server SharePoint 2016 Development environment. I have installed similar machines very often in the past, but never with SQL Server 2017 + SSRS.

Now i wanted to install Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services on the same machine to be able to play around with the new Reporting Services, but unfortunately i receive the following error message when executing SSRS setup:

"Installation Reporting Services on a domain controller is not supported."

Of course the message is clear! But my question is:

Is there any workaround to do this anyway, maybe with a workaround oder fix?

Best regards BOG

Friday, November 24, 2017 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Installing SQL Server on a domain was never recommend and have had always several limitations, see Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, November 24, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

thanks for your reply and advice. But i did this, and of course there are several guides on the net, in the past a lot of times (from SQL 2008 to 2012). For the above described scenario (single server Microsoft SharePoint server) it should be fine, cause i never would need cluster capabilities and would not change from a domain controller to a domain member for example.

This means there is no workaround?

Best regards BOG

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

As the error prompts, installing ssrs on the DC is not supported and I am afraid there is no workaround. Also SSRS is not cluster-aware. 

Personally, I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/ . If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to improve it in the later SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:42 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Hello 

I totally agree with your approach.

Recommendation is far away from prohibiting, in many aspects. 

Did you have any response from Microsoft or any workaround?

Best regards George

Friday, April 6, 2018 5:00 AM
  • Promote the server to a DC after installing SQL server and SSRS.  The check only runs during installation.  If it's already a DC, demote it, then run the installers and re-promote it.  I've never tried this but it seems like the most likely solution if you absolutely must have it all one one box.  Be sure to spin up a VM as a secondary DC before you demote it if this is your only DC so you don't lose all of your domain settings!

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:04 AM
  • This another great idea from Microsoft for developers - after Dynamics CRM v. 9 on-prem release delay. I don’t need SRS but CRM for no reason did. I will try solution with SRS installation before promoting to DC.

Thx anyway to make my life more interesting.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 10:41 PM