How do I temporarily disable my maintenance plan? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

On mssql server 2008, what is the best way to temporarily disable  my maintenance plan?

On the first block, Check Data Integrity, I see a right click disable.  Will this disable everything or only that block?  I also see a "Subplan Schedule" at the top.  Is this for my maintenance plan or some fork off of my plan?

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,

-T

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• You can either Click the Calendar Icon within the maintenance plan (at the top of the menu bar), to show the SQL Server Job and uncheck the enable checkbox.

Or you can locate the "SQL Server Agent Job" - Under the SQL Server Agent jobs menu in SSMS and right click the job and choose disable.

John Sansom | SQL Server DBA Blog | Twitter
    • Marked as answer by ToddAndMargo Monday, February 28, 2011 9:21 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:47 PM
  • On the upper left pane, under "Maintenance Plans", I right click on the name of my job.  A context menu pops up.  There is no "disable" in the menu.  What am I missing?  Plase walk me through this as if I was a total  dumb dumb.

Many thanks,

-T

Todd,

To disable the agent job, open up SQL Server Agent then open the Jobs folder. Find the agent job that is used to run the maintenance plan you want to disable.  Right-click the job and you can disable the job.

The other option is to open the maintenance plan and change the schedule.  At the bottom of the schedule, you will find a section for the duration - and a box to specify the start time of the schedule.  If you change that date to tomorrow and save the plan, the agent job's next scheduled run time will be changed to a date/time after that time.  This way, you don't have to disable/enable the job - it will just skip the days that you don't want it to run.

Jeff

Jeff Williams
    • Marked as answer by ToddAndMargo Friday, March 18, 2011 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:28 PM

All replies

• What do you want to do, disable the entire maintenance plan or just a component of it?

The simplest method to disable your entire maintenance plan is to find the SQL Server Agent job that runs it. You can then just right click the job and choose disable.

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Everything, but just for today.  I want it back tomorrow.  Don't feel like re-writing it.
    • Proposed as answer by John Sansom Monday, February 28, 2011 8:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by John Sansom Monday, February 28, 2011 8:29 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Everything, but just for today.  I want it back tomorrow.  Don't feel like re-writing it.
    Then as suggested, just disable the relevant SQL Server Agent Job and you won't need to modify the maintenance plan at all.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:30 PM
  • The simplest method to disable your entire maintenance plan is to find the SQL Server Agent job that runs it. You can then just right click the job and choose disable.

On the upper left pane, under "Maintenance Plans", I right click on the name of my job.  A context menu pops up.  There is no "disable" in the menu.  What am I missing?  Plase walk me through this as if I was a total  dumb dumb.

Many thanks,

-T

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:39 PM
  • How?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:40 PM
  • You can either Click the Calendar Icon within the maintenance plan (at the top of the menu bar), to show the SQL Server Job and uncheck the enable checkbox.

Or you can locate the "SQL Server Agent Job" - Under the SQL Server Agent jobs menu in SSMS and right click the job and choose disable.

• Marked as answer by ToddAndMargo Monday, February 28, 2011 9:21 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:47 PM

Thank you!  I was unclear as to whether or not that was for my job or a sub fork.  Thank you for clearing that up.  -T
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:23 PM
  • What I do when I want to skip a day is just modify the schedule.  There is a date time parameter for when the schedule should start from.  If you change that to the next day and save it – the next scheduled time for the job will be changed.

This way, you don’t have to remember to go in the next day and enable the schedule or the job.  Believe me, forgetting to restart your maintenance is something you don’t want to do.

Jeff

"ToddAndMargo" wrote in message news:d05fed1d-65d8-4939-b83a-314448f41256...

You can either Click the Calendar Icon within the maintenance plan (at the top of the menu bar), to show the SQL Server Job and uncheck the enable checkbox.

Thank you!  I was unclear as to whether or not that was for my job or a sub fork.  Thank you for clearing that up.  -T
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:27 AM
  • You can disable the related jobs via SQL Server Agent
    Jason.He Thanks
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:48 AM
  • On the upper left pane, under "Maintenance Plans", I right click on the name of my job.  A context menu pops up.  There is no "disable" in the menu.  What am I missing?  Plase walk me through this as if I was a total  dumb dumb.

Many thanks,

-T

Todd,

To disable the agent job, open up SQL Server Agent then open the Jobs folder. Find the agent job that is used to run the maintenance plan you want to disable.  Right-click the job and you can disable the job.

The other option is to open the maintenance plan and change the schedule.  At the bottom of the schedule, you will find a section for the duration - and a box to specify the start time of the schedule.  If you change that date to tomorrow and save the plan, the agent job's next scheduled run time will be changed to a date/time after that time.  This way, you don't have to disable/enable the job - it will just skip the days that you don't want it to run.

Jeff

Jeff Williams
    • Marked as answer by ToddAndMargo Friday, March 18, 2011 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hi Jeff.

Excellent instructions.  Thank you!

-T

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:34 PM