none
Setting users for SQLServer Authentication. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am beginner.

actually i wanted to ask that when we create database in SQL server via using Visual Studio 2010 then there is two options to select server name , and to select where to logon , through Windows Authentication and Sql Server Authentication.

i have no idea of it. i used windows authentication but i heard that SQl server authentication is more secure then before. So i wanted to ask that what is difference between these two authentications and which one is better

and my second question is how can i set password for database using SQL server authentication , how i can set username and password for it. cuz it donot create Database using Sql server authentication , but it only makes in windows authentication  , i want to create in Sql server authentication.

Need help

Regards,

Shan Ali Khan

• Moved by Andrew.Wu Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:14 AM (From:Visual Studio Database Development Tools (Formerly "Database Edition Forum"))
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 2:59 PM

Answers

• Please read: "Choosing an Authentication Mode" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144284.aspx

Please post further questions on the SQL Server Security forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/sqlsecurity/threads

GertD @ www.DBProj.com
    • Proposed as answer by Gert Drapers (MSFT) Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Monday, June 13, 2011 8:23 AM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Shankhan,

actually i wanted to ask that when we create database in SQL server via using Visual Studio 2010 then there is two options to select server name , and to select where to logon , through Windows Authentication and Sql Server Authentication.

Creating databases in Visual Studio uses a SQL Server Express feature called “user instance”. A SQL Server user instance is similar to a normal SQL Server instance but it is created on demand while normal instances are created during setup. User instances can only work with Integrated Security (Windows Authentication), so we cannot use SQL Server Authentication here. For more information, please see:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition User Instances

i have no idea of it. i used windows authentication but i heard that SQl server authentication is more secure then before. So i wanted to ask that what is difference between these two authentications and which one is better

When possible, it is recommended to use Windows Authentication. Please refer to Gert’s reply.

and my second question is how can i set password for database using SQL server authentication , how i can set username and password for it. cuz it donot create Database using Sql server authentication , but it only makes in windows authentication  , i want to create in Sql server authentication.

We cannot set password for a database. We can create a login with password and grant its associated database user specific permissions to security the database.  For more information, please refer to the following link or start a new thread in the SQL Server Security forum as Gert suggested.

Identity and Access Control (Database Engine)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• Please read: "Choosing an Authentication Mode" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144284.aspx

Please post further questions on the SQL Server Security forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/sqlsecurity/threads

GertD @ www.DBProj.com
    • Proposed as answer by Gert Drapers (MSFT) Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:33 PM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Shan Ali Khan,

I'm going to help move your post to the appropriate SQL Server forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Hi Shankhan,

Creating databases in Visual Studio uses a SQL Server Express feature called “user instance”. A SQL Server user instance is similar to a normal SQL Server instance but it is created on demand while normal instances are created during setup. User instances can only work with Integrated Security (Windows Authentication), so we cannot use SQL Server Authentication here. For more information, please see:

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition User Instances

When possible, it is recommended to use Windows Authentication. Please refer to Gert’s reply.

We cannot set password for a database. We can create a login with password and grant its associated database user specific permissions to security the database.  For more information, please refer to the following link or start a new thread in the SQL Server Security forum as Gert suggested.

Identity and Access Control (Database Engine)

If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:59 AM