none
dbFileName cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports 612 and earlier RRS feed

• Question

• My customers get "dbFileName cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier" after installing my software created in C# 2008 Express under the following circumstances.

* To start with, customer had SQL Server Express 2005 on their PC.

* Customer installs my Click Once application, which includes a database created under SQL Server 2005 (however, I had subsequently compressed the database using SQL Server 2008 and Management Studio 2008)

* Click Once application installation is happy to use SQL Server Express 2005 and doesn't try to download SQL Server Express 2008 automatically.

* Application starts, but as soon as it tries to open database, customer gets "dbFileName cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier" error message.

* It appears that the database is flagged as compatible with SQL Server 2005 (compatibility level is shown as 90), but internally has a SQL Server 2008 version number (655).

I would have thought that if SQL Server Express 2008 was required, the Click Once installation should automatically trigger the download of SQL Server Express 2008 from Microsoft (an older version of my application automatically triggered the download of SQL Server Express 2005).  I can circumvent the problem, but would be interested in why there is an incompatibility between "compatibility level 90", which is SQL Server 2005, and version 655, which is 2008.

Peter.

Monday, February 2, 2009 11:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

When you attached the database to SQL Server 2008 to compress it the database has automatically been upgraded from SQL 2005 to to SQL Server 2008 from the disk structucture point of view.  An internal upgrade script has been run and has modified the on-disk structure of the database to that new version. This can be seen at the version 655.

Once this has been done you can no longer attach the upgraded database to a lower version of SQL Server, it will fail with the error you've seen.

This has nothing to do with the compatiblity level of the database. The compatabilty level only prevents the engine from using some of the new features.

In order to get the database on SQL Server 2005 again you will need to create the database freshly and export/import the data, for example by using the Export/Import Wizard.

Ulrike - MSFT 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

When you attached the database to SQL Server 2008 to compress it the database has automatically been upgraded from SQL 2005 to to SQL Server 2008 from the disk structucture point of view.  An internal upgrade script has been run and has modified the on-disk structure of the database to that new version. This can be seen at the version 655.

Once this has been done you can no longer attach the upgraded database to a lower version of SQL Server, it will fail with the error you've seen.

This has nothing to do with the compatiblity level of the database. The compatabilty level only prevents the engine from using some of the new features.

In order to get the database on SQL Server 2005 again you will need to create the database freshly and export/import the data, for example by using the Export/Import Wizard.

Ulrike - MSFT 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Thanks Ulrike, that clarifies the meaning of compatability level.  I also just realised that if I use a  SQL Server 2008 database, I need to update Application Prerequisites in C# Visual Studio Publish to include SQL Server 2008 (it was set to SQL Server 2005) to get my ClickOnce application to automatically download SQL Server 2008 to my customer's machine.

Regards
    Peter.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Very helpful post.  I did run into an error when running Import Wizard from the destination database:

ERROR : errorCode=0 description=Transferring columns of data type "sql_variant" is not supported. helpFile= helpContext=0 idofInterfaceWithError={8BDFE893-E9D8-4D23-9739-DA807BCDC2AC}

In order to get this to work properly for me, I had to run the Export Wizard from the Source database.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:34 PM