none
how to debug DTSX packages? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some familiarity with DTS packages, and find them easy ( generally) to debug as you can run them step by step and simply find the offending step. when they fail they also put a message box with the error in the centre of the screen. My system has recently been updated and now uses DTSX packages. I can open and veiw these in visual studio, but i cannot run them one step at a time, and they dont give a nice error message when they fail. how do you debug a DTSX package, or at least make debugging it a little easier?

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:40 AM

Answers

• Perhaps you are no looking into the right palce. There are several options/feautres that will help you:

• If you run the package via F5 in BIDS; you will be executing in debug mode. The offending step will turn red and the execution of the package is halt.
    • While you are using debugging mode; you can set break points in the control flow and data viewers in the data flow
    • In the control flow you can right click an choose 'execute step'
    • there is a progress tab that will give you information about the execution progress.
    • you can enable package logging and write the execution result to a table,file etc.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:34 PM
  • To enable the debugging features, you can't just open the package in Visual Studio, you have to add it to an Integration Services project. Just open VS, create a new Integration Services project (located under Business Intelligence projects), and add your package to it.

Friday, August 3, 2007 2:56 AM

All replies

• Perhaps you are no looking into the right palce. There are several options/feautres that will help you:

• If you run the package via F5 in BIDS; you will be executing in debug mode. The offending step will turn red and the execution of the package is halt.
    • While you are using debugging mode; you can set break points in the control flow and data viewers in the data flow
    • In the control flow you can right click an choose 'execute step'
    • there is a progress tab that will give you information about the execution progress.
    • you can enable package logging and write the execution result to a table,file etc.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Ive tried that but F5 does nothing. The green play button is greyed out , as is the menu entry "Start Debugging". Also, if i click on any items in the control flow, in the right click context menu, there is no option to "execute step".

What can cause this?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:09 AM
  • I am not sure, but it may be that you don't have SSIS installed in your machine. If you go to SQL Server configuration manager, then SQL Server 2005 services; can you see a SSIS service? it is running?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:04 PM
  • To enable the debugging features, you can't just open the package in Visual Studio, you have to add it to an Integration Services project. Just open VS, create a new Integration Services project (located under Business Intelligence projects), and add your package to it.

Friday, August 3, 2007 2:56 AM
  •  

yip. that did it! thanks a mil for the help guys.
    Friday, August 3, 2007 8:29 AM