none
Service Pack 4 installation failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a frustrating problem. I have installed SP4 onto well over 100 SQL Server 2012 instances over the last month or so. All instances are named instances, all with the same instance name, all were at the same patch level and all went without any issue until now. I'm getting an installation failure, but I'm not getting any logs to study. When I run setup, a black pop up window appears and disappears instantly. I get no errors in the Bootstrap/Logs directory (no new folder is created), nothing in SQL Server logs and nothing in event viewer. I can't find anything that can help me to determine what the problem is. I'm fairly sure I've seen this before somewhere in a different role, but I can't find any details to assist. Setup.exe does not appear in the Task  Manager at all, or if it does, it disappears so quickly it can't be spotted!

All of our SQL servers are created from a template and all are identical. They are running SCCM secondary sites and the server that is failing is running SCCM normally, no errors. This is purely an error in getting the Setup process to run.  The Server that is failing is currently running build 11.0.6567.

I've checked permissions on the directory I'm running the setup from, (local disk, not UNC), my user account has SQL sysadmin and domain admin rights.

I've scripted the installation of SP4 to run silently and this has run successfully on over 100 SQL Servers, but fails on this server. I've run it manually, but I get the same problem.

Where can I look to see why the installation is failing? Has anyone else seen this happen? If I can find something logging what's happening, I will have a base to work from, but at present, I don't know where to start.

I'm not the worlds greatest SQL expert, so my apologies if I've missed anything obvious.

Many Thanks

John

Regards, John

Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

From your description, you tried to install SQL server 2014 SP4 silently through configuration file. But it failed, and you did not get any information from SQL server logs and Windows Event, is it right?

Did you try to download SQL server 2012 SP4 setup file again from MS download link. And try to run the SP4 setup file as administrator. Right click the setup file and choose the option 'Run as administrator'.   Please have a try to see if it works. If it fails, you may can get some error message from setup log.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:24 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your reply. you are correct, except that I have tried both scripted silent installs and manually running Setup.exe. I have also just tried running as administrator, but that does not work, I still get a black cmd prompt window appear briefly. Setup.exe appears in Task Manager momentarily - you have to watch carefully, it disappears almost immediately.

Still no additional entries in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log, Event viewer and SQL Management Logs. I have deleted the installation files on the remote Server and I am replacing them with newly downloaded files, which I know are working because they have worked on all my other Servers. This process is likely to take quite a while, so I will not get any further with this until after the weekend. I will pick it up then and let you know how I get on.

Have a good weekend

regards

John

Regards, John

Friday, January 17, 2020 11:24 PM
  • Hi John,

>> This process is likely to take quite a while, so I will not get any further with this until after the weekend. I will pick it up then and let you know how I get on.

Ok, waiting for your good news.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hi Cathy, sorry for the delay, been manic here - the file copy completed, and I've attempted to install using the new files, but I still get the same thing happen. Install does not run, a black cmd prompt appears briefly and then nothing happens.

Something on the Server is preventing setup initiating correctly. If we can identify that, we may be able to make some progress :-)

Regards

John

Regards, John

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:06 AM
  • Hi John,

Did you try to download SQL server 2012 SP4 setup on the server that need to install the SQL 2012 SP4 instead of copying file from other server? But it may be not helpful.

Does your server have some anti-virus software, you can try to disable it, and then enable it after installed SQL server 2012 SP4 successfully.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:37 AM
  • Hi John

I know it sounds a bit primitive but you can try to record your installation process (by some screen capture software)
    Then you can run it backward and see the cmd prompt window in more convenient way as well as the error.

another thing that might happens, sometime there is a windows variable that overrides the "setup" command and possibly executing something else or some batch file instead. use "SET" command to view variables.

BR

Uri

Uri K.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:37 AM
  • Manually open a command prompt in administrator mode and run the executable from the command line. You will likely get more information.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:33 PM
  • Hi everyone. Thanks for your suggestions. I have disabled the AV on the Server and I still get the same issue. I have also run setup from an admin cmd prompt. I get the following:

D:\sql2012sp4\SP4>setup.exe
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2012 11.00.7001.00
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\sql2012sp4\SP4>

I have downloaded and run the SP4 executable, it extracts successfully, but fails to run. I could see the extraction running in Task Manager, but after the cmd prompt appeared and disappeared, sqlserver2012sp4-kb4018073-x64-enu.exe disappeared from Task manager, and setup.exe never appeared.

I have no access to any screen capture software, our environment is too locked down for me to be able to install any, unfortunately.

Are there any other suggestions, or should I raise a case with Microsoft Support to get assistance from them?

Regards

John

Regards, John

Friday, January 24, 2020 10:54 AM
  • Hi John

According your last note, your system is too locked so is it possible that there is some watchdog that kills any unknown process? 

maybe some other security settings prevent you from running setups?

Uri K.

Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:50 AM
  • Hi Uri,

Thanks  for the thought. The SQL Server SP4 process worked normally on 130+ SQL Servers, this is the only one that has caused us any issues.  The lockdown I mentioned refers to our workstations and laptops. Servers are Hardened, but all my SQL Servers are virtually identical, so whilst I wouldn't rule out an security lockdown setting being the cause, I'd be surprised if that was it.

I'm going to raise a case with MS SQL Support to help walk me through this.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas/assistance. Once I get a solution, I'll post back details

Regards

John

Regards, John

Monday, January 27, 2020 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

I wanted to update this case to post the resolution. A Microsoft Support Engineer walked me through it, but essentially %Temp%\SQLSetup.log existed and showed the following

02/20/2020 16:36:18.185 .Net security policy file does exist
    02/20/2020 16:36:18.232 Attempting to load .Net security policy file
    02/20/2020 16:36:18.310 Error: Cannot load .Net security policy file 0x80004005
    02/20/2020 16:36:18.341 Error: InitializeSqlSetupCodeGroupCore(64bit) failed
    02/20/2020 16:36:18.372 Error: InitializeSqlSetupCodeGroup failed: 0x80004005

So the problem was security policies within .Net Framework. I then did this:

Reset the .NET security policies using the following steps:

1. Open a command console with elevated privileges (run as administrator).

2. Change the directory to: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\

3. Execute the following statement, which will reset the .NET security policy: Caspol.exe -machine -reset

4. Perform the installation of SP4

With the Policies reset, the SP4 installation completed successfully.

Many Thanks to everyone who posted in response to this issue.

Regards

John

Regards, John

Friday, February 21, 2020 2:48 PM