none
How to get report content in SQL Server 2017 using Rest API ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I want to get report content from SQL Server Reporting Service 2017 using REST API.

Current Scenario -
    We have a C# project developed in .Net Framework 4.6.2 to get report contents (PDF/EXCEL etc) from SQL Server Reporting Service 2008.
    We use WCF proxy to access built-in reporting service ReportExecution2005.asmx to render desired report content.
    In addition to rendering content we also add/delete/update reports via this SOAP service.

Expected Scenario -
    We are migrating the code to .Net Core but observed that SOAP service is not compatible with .Net core application.
    I read that SQL Server Reporting Service 2017 supports Rest API but am unsure if it provides all functionality of SOAP service.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
    Oliver D'Mello

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

AFAIK, currently, there is no render method available in RestAPI provided by Microsoft available.

All the APIs available now are posted one the SwaggerHub link.

You could check this link which I found useful.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Oliver D'Mello Monday, November 11, 2019 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

I think you could refer to the official doc here Develop with the REST APIs for Reporting Services

And you could check all the available API of SSRS REST APIs in SwaggerHub. See if it has all the functionalities you want.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

I checked the documentation but couldn't identify outright what API would suit my requirement.

I want something similar to Render method in SOAP service. It would be helpful if you can let me know if something similar is available with REST API.

Regards,

Oliver

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Can somebody please guide me on this topic?

I even saw the API's on this link SwaggerHub but couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Oliver D'Mello

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

AFAIK, currently, there is no render method available in RestAPI provided by Microsoft available.

All the APIs available now are posted one the SwaggerHub link.

You could check this link which I found useful.

Regards,

Lukas

• Marked as answer by Oliver D'Mello Monday, November 11, 2019 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Regards,

Oliver D'Mello

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

If you find any post were helpful, you could kindly mark it as answer to enclose this thread..

Thank you for you support.

Regards,

Lukas

Monday, November 11, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

Done..

Any idea if Microsoft SSRS team is planning to include all the Web service features in REST API in near future ?

Regards,

Oliver D'Mello

Monday, November 11, 2019 12:12 PM
  • the REST API Docs are here

https://app.swaggerhub.com/apis/microsoft-rs/SSRS/2.0

You can download and Upload RDL content easily

You cant get a rendered PDF back, but you can setup a Subscription that drops the rendered PDF somewhere and manually Fire off that subscription

Yes SOAP is dead and not documented very well

https://github.com/gwalkey/SSRS_Rest_API

a splashy sig

Monday, November 11, 2019 4:27 PM