none
Coded UI problems in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  We've been running Coded UI tests on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 VM's for several years, using Test Agent 2013 and Test Controller 2013.  We created a Windows 10 VM - version 10.0.10240, and the tests worked without a problem.  However, when we update the VM to version 10.0.17763.678 they fail to find some controls.  Of the two main tests it fails to see a DevExpress popup and an AcuCobol floating form.  Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I tried to install test agent 2013 and test controller 2013 in my computer(windows 10 version 1809) then create a Coded UI Test to test, I see the test controller and agent run normally and the test passed in the end. Since “fail to find some controls” usually appears when vs could not find the specified controls by searching specified properties, not sure whether there are some changes or update to directories, properties of controls, the compatibility of the controls or the third party plugin (if you used) that affect the test after updating windows 10 VM. Since many reasons will cause this issue, If possible, could you please share us with more details about error messages then I will consider it and try to reproduce in my side and try my best to help you solve this issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi Chrisvip,

Sorry to disturb you.

Did your issue solved? Did you have any update? Since you could work well on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 VM's for several years, I think this issue is not about the codes, and more probably because of the windows version that affect the CUIT. You said "they fail to find some controls" do you mean you have this error message or just means the tests fail to have a DevExpress popup and an AcuCobol floating form? If it's the second condition, this issue might caused by the compatible about the Controls that could not displayed well under windows 10.0.17763.678. If it's the first condition, I think it might be caused by some configuration changes after the update.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Hi.  The controls do exist, Coded Ui cannot find them - 

The playback failed to find the control with the given search properties. Additional Details: 
    TechnologyName:  'MSAA'
    ControlType:  'Window'
    AccessibleName:  'Desktop'
    ClassName:  '#32769'

Yes, I suspect it's to do with an update configuration - but what?  I've tried installing WinAppDriver and placing in Developer Mode with no success.  Extremely frustrating.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:05 AM
  • Hi Chrisvip,

Sorry for delay in reply.

You could use “Locate the UI Control” in UI Control Map to check whether the program could find and locate the controls that you mentioned.  

If it could not locate well, please check if the search properties match the control properties.  

If it could locate well, I am afraid that this issue might more related to the VM.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Hi Tianyu,

As mentioned before, this has been, and is working, on all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines - there is no problem with the mapping. 

Also, it's not just our Windows 10 VM's that have this problem.  This also occurs on our work laptops - but only on those loaded with Windows 10.  I suggest it is an updated Windows 10 default setting somewhere.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Hi Chrisvip,

Sorry for delay in reply.

I researched and checked the windows 10 settings but I did not find some configurations that might be helpful.

Since this issue is hard for me to reproduce in my side, if possible, could you please share us with a simple example use one drive or GitHub, and share us with the link. I will then go to download and test in my side to figure out this issue.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Sunday, September 29, 2019 8:58 AM