none
run batch job RRS feed

• Question

• I have a batch job as below , which is prepared by previous colleague , to export data from SQL database ( SQL server 2000 run on windows server 2008)

dtexec /f db.dtsx

Now , I have migrated the server to SQL 2008 express and windows server 2016 .

I just try to run it on the new server but not work , therefore , I would like to ask what I need to change to the batch , so that it can be run on new server  ? do I need to convert the batch ?

thanks
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:00 PM

All replies

• dstx is a SSIS (Integration Service) package and dtexec is the SSIS tool to start it; SSIS is not supported by the Express Edition. There is nothing you could change to get it running.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:32 PM
  • What error message are you getting? You might need to change the connection strings inside your package. you will need to edit your package to do this. You will need Visual Studio with SQL Data tools for this.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:33 PM
  • Hello Friend ,

The db.dtsx file is an SSIS file, and the version of SQL 2008 express does not support SSIS.
    You must install a different version.

I recommend that you outside your domain maybe on a machine in your house to avoid problems do a quick test with the Developer version (and SSIS installed) and after validating you move to the compatible version in your production environment.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:00 PM
  • thanks reply ,

I am using SQL server express , it is not easy change the version at the moment .

is there any way / tool to create the similar function as .dtsx ? what I want to do is export all data from database , if any way/tool can be run on sql express , it is fine .

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:06 AM
  • thanks reply ,

I am using SQL server express , it is not easy change the version at the moment .

is there any way / tool to create the similar function as .dtsx ? what I want to do is export all data from database , if any way/tool can be run on sql express , it is fine .

Hi,

>> what I want to do is export all data from database , if any way/tool can be run on sql express , it is fine .

You can try to use SQL Server Import and Export Wizard to export data from database. It is supported in SQL server Express edition. Please choose correct bit of the tool. It has the 64 bit and 32 bit. Your SQL server is 64 bit, you need to run 64 bit version tool.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy  

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:22 AM
  • Hello Friend,

I am not an expert on these packages. I only open them with SSIS.
    However to edit you can even use a notepad, but the problem is to run you may need the tool.

For Express Editions version you can create batch files and schedule in Task Scheduler.

1 - Batch file with connection parameters for calling instance
    2- Script with Database Queries / Commands

This works well for backup scripts, maintenance jobs and others.
    But for SSIS packages I really don't know.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:36 AM
  • is there any way / tool to create the similar function as .dtsx ? 

Depends on what the package do, what we don't know,. SSIS is a powerfull tool and can perform an lot of task; could be difficult to solve.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:46 AM