none
Permission error message on sql server 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have a server that is running SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1 (12.0.4416). I set up a database for a user and added him to the db_owner database role. In SSMS if he right clicks on a table and chooses properties he gets this message:

"VIEW SERVER STATE permission was denied on object 'server', database 'master'

This looks very similar to this MS Connect bug which was supposed to be fixed in SQL Server 2014

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/791630/cannot-view-properties-of-database-when-using-db-owner-account

Does anyone know if this bug (connect ID 791630) was fixed and in what version of SQL 2014 it was implemented? In the connect page MS recommends extending the server permission "view server state" but just adding more permissions is often not the best plan for solving problems.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi LorenZ_DBA,

I test the scenario as yours, everything works as expected and I can successfully view table properties when using a db_owner role member to log in SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1.

However, if I use SQL Server Management Studio 2012 to log in SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1, I get the same error message as yours when viewing table properties. Could you please check that if the user uses the latest SQL Server 2014  Management Studio to connect to SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1?

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi LorenZ_DBA,

I test the scenario as yours, everything works as expected and I can successfully view table properties when using a db_owner role member to log in SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1.

However, if I use SQL Server Management Studio 2012 to log in SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1, I get the same error message as yours when viewing table properties. Could you please check that if the user uses the latest SQL Server 2014  Management Studio to connect to SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU 1?

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Yes that was the problem. I was helping the user remotely and I should have checked the SSMS2014 version. Thanks for your help.

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:38 PM