none
How to automate silverlight windowless application using UI automation?

Question

•  I am trying to automate the UI testing for my silverlight windowless UI, I am having troubles getting the elements. The only element that I get is "IEFrame" and nothing comes up thereafter. Also when I inspect silverlight control using Inspect.exe, it is not highlighting that particular control but highlights IEFrame. We can not change windowless property to "false" because of one of the client issue fixed by setting windowless property to "true".

How can I access silverlight control without changing windowless property?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashish Z,

As far as I know, Silverlight Windowsless mode will lead to Silverlight plugin does not have its own rendering window. Instead, the plug-in content is displayed directly by the browser window.

The automate UI Testing clients are unable to see the Silverlight application in the UI Automation (UIA) Tree in this situation. And I also tested with Coded UI Test builder, the same result, Silverlight controls could not be captured.

Please check the Windowsless mode part in following article, which explain this issue detailed.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/gg591270.aspx

So I'm afraid that we could not access Silverlight control when it in Windowless mode.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashish Z,

As far as I know, Silverlight Windowsless mode will lead to Silverlight plugin does not have its own rendering window. Instead, the plug-in content is displayed directly by the browser window.

The automate UI Testing clients are unable to see the Silverlight application in the UI Automation (UIA) Tree in this situation. And I also tested with Coded UI Test builder, the same result, Silverlight controls could not be captured.

Please check the Windowsless mode part in following article, which explain this issue detailed.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/gg591270.aspx

So I'm afraid that we could not access Silverlight control when it in Windowless mode.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei for your reply
    Monday, January 16, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi Ashish Z,

If the reply has resolved your doubt, please mark the reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same issue.

If any questions about Silverlight , please feel free to come back to our forum creating new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:24 AM