none
Visual Studio Pro 2017 crashes when connecting to data source RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting into all this, and I can't get past the most basic part, connecting to a data source.

I have an established database that I'm trying to work with and every time I try to add the data source it crashes VS.

There have been other instances related to working with the database that have caused it to crash, but nothing reliably repeatable.  Trying to add a data source is repeatable.  every single time.  I have not gotten a successful connection yet.

Crash details:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    devenv.exe
      Application Version:    15.0.27004.2002
      Application Timestamp:    59d7e155
      Fault Module Name:    clr.dll
      Fault Module Version:    4.7.2116.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    59c476d5
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    00451a8d
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    fa3f
      Additional Information 2:    fa3f73f74a9973a51d92a4bf4912f74e
      Additional Information 3:    0b17
      Additional Information 4:    0b179dab85402fb9facccdae9427dbd3

I even went so far as to completely uninstall Visual Studio and reinstall and that didn't help.

Thank you for you help!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:26 PM

Answers

• Sara~
    it ended up being in the exclusions for BitDefender.

There are two ways to exclude a process.  One is "On Demand" and the other is "ATC/IDS".

I had only set one exclusion as "On Demand", and not the second one.

I would attach a screenshot, but I'm too new on the forum.

The full path to the .exe that you need to exclude is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Always such a simple thing that sends you chasing your tail for days!

Thank you for your help!

• Marked as answer by Alith7 Monday, October 23, 2017 9:47 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Alith,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What’s your application type? If you create a new project and test it again, does this issue persists or not?

Refer to the error message, please have a look at this similar issue: Visual Studio keeps crashing: Application Error and try the following troubleshot methods:

1. Clean up all folders and files under the folder: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_xxx\ and restart the VS 2017 to check it again.
    2. Open cmd and navigate to the VS 2017 installation folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode to run it as safe mode, then check if the installed extensions caused this issue.
    3. Delete the hidden .vs folder under this solution store folder
    4. Run the command: sfc /scannow to scan and repair the missing system files
    5. Perform a clean boot of your OS and test it

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Application type doesn't matter, i've tried a bunch of different ones, all with the same result.

I have read that stack overflow post.  I checked my error log and it points to the same clr.dll that the error message did.  I traced that to the dot net version.  used the MS dot net removal tool to remove all dot net installs, rebooted, and "repaired" VS  to reinstall the necessary dot net versions.  took MS updates and rebooted a few times to make sure everything was settled.  No change.

for you other recommendations:

1. did that, didn't change anything.
    2. did that, couldn't really test if that fixed anything since in safe mode I couldn't add a database, which means I couldn't try to establish a dataset.  Maybe I'm missing something that would let me try it, but since I have installed no 3rd party plugins, I don't think that's the culprit.
    3. since it is happening in any and all solutions and projects, that doesn't really help.
    4. ran the scan, it said it did not find anything.
    5. I will try the clean boot, but i'm not sure that's going to help either. 

I think there's something messed up with my system though, and I don't know how to figure out what it is.  I installed Visual Studio on a fresh clean virtual machine and it's working great.  So it's not something in my database or something that's causing the crash.

It does crash consistently at the same point when I'm trying to add a data set.  I can get through the wizard all the way to picking what tables to include, as soon as I hit "Finish" it thinks about it for a few seconds then crashes.  doesn't seem to matter what tables, settings or anything.

Any other suggestions?

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:34 PM
  • Hi Alith,

Thank you for your update and detail information.

It works fine before after your initial VS 2017 installation? If this crash just happened recently, maybe some changes to your OS or VS effect it, like install windows updates, VS update, extensions or other third party software on the computer...

BTW, this issue persists under the clean boot?

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:27 AM
  • It was working with VS 2008.  I uninstalled that, then upgraded to VS 2017.  It has not worked in VS 2017 at all.

It does persist under the clean boot.

This is an old Virtual instance I'm working with and it has had a lot done to it over the years.  Unless you have any ideas for what is causing the clr.dll to crash the connection, I might just scrap it and start over with a fresh install, maybe upgrade to Windows 10 too.

Friday, October 13, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Hi Alith7,

Actually, it is a difficult and hard to find the root cause of this crash. Since you already upgraded to the VS 2017, it is also a good choice to upgrade your OS to Windows 10 to avoid the unnecessary compatibility or other possible issues.

Best regards,

Sara

Monday, October 16, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Sara~
    I got some help from support, they pulled a crash dump and figured out that BitDefender is blocking Visual Studio 2017 from connecting to the data set.  Even though it's not flagging it in the BD logs, which is why I didn't realize that was the problem.

I'm working with MS support and BD support to try to figure out how to get it to stop blocking.  Adding a basic exception to BD doesn't seem to be working.  I will post the solution here once I figure it out.

• Edited by Alith7 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:12 PM added more info
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:11 PM
  • Hi Alith7,

I'm glad to hear that you are get a better support and if there has any updates, please update it in here, that will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue, thanks in advance :)

Best regards,

Sara

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Sara~
    it ended up being in the exclusions for BitDefender.

There are two ways to exclude a process.  One is "On Demand" and the other is "ATC/IDS".

I had only set one exclusion as "On Demand", and not the second one.

I would attach a screenshot, but I'm too new on the forum.

The full path to the .exe that you need to exclude is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Always such a simple thing that sends you chasing your tail for days!

Thank you for your help!

• Marked as answer by Alith7 Monday, October 23, 2017 9:47 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Hi Alith,

Thank you so much for your sharing and it's my pleasure to help you.

If you have any other issues about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day :)

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:28 AM