none
Advice on moving from SIlverlight? Future platform for a js - hater?

Question

• Hello, I figured this might be a good place to start, with like-minded developers. I've been using SL for the past 7-8 years for internal app dev. I won't apologize for using a dated platform that's let me focus 100% on solving business needs and zero on learning new platforms. It is, however, time to start looking at a go-forward platform. Honestly, I've always hated coding in HTML and js is a miserable experience IMO. I love c# and the power it gives me without struggling with js typos and the hour it takes me to find one. I'd love to avoid js. Our apps are internal and for a small audience, so I have a lot of control over the browser requirements, which means I don't have to deal with the myriad cross-browser compatibility hacks. 

Wondering if anyone can point me towards alternatives. I just installed vs 2017 and have started attending MS meetups after work, talking about Azure, VS 2017, etc.

Azure? Dart? Is Xamarin only for mobile dev? Does it work for desktop web apps, like SL does? Guessing not.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Todd Beaulieu,

Microsoft Azure is a growing collection of integrated cloud services that developers and IT professionals use to build, deploy, and manage applications through our global network of datacenters. With Azure, you get the freedom to build and deploy wherever you want, using the tools, applications, and frameworks of your choice.

What is Azure?
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/what-is-azure/

Xamarin : As far as I know, it is a Mobile app development platform.
    https://www.xamarin.com/

>>Wondering if anyone can point me towards alternatives.

Maybe you can describe your current software situation, this will help us to better discuss.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:41 AM