none
Backup failed because subscription has expired RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I upgraded my free account to pay-as-you-go subscription a few hours too late but was still able to backup just before I upgraded. The subscription status shows active on the portal and it has been for more than 5  hours now. I have re-registered the server with the latest Microsoft azure recovery agent(on a windows server 2019 standard)  twice already using vault credentials freshly downloaded from the portal and the right passphrase.  I'm still getting the "Backup failed because your Microsoft Azure subscription has expired. Please renew your Azure subscription to continue backing up successfully"

I have been searching for hours now and the only fix mentioned is re-registering the server which I already did twice. The registration resumed completely both times with no errors and I'm able to mount and read recovery points with no issue. 

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:55 PM

Answers

• From Azure portal -->Subscriptions-->Microsoft Azure Subscription Name(you will see your Azure Subscription Name here)-->Resource Providers.

Check if the Microsoft.RecoveryServices provider is registered. If not, register it and enable backup. To register provider, follow the steps below:

1.Please open windows powershell as Admin.

2.Run this: Login-AzureRmAccount

3.A pop up will come asking for your Azure credentials.

Note: If an error is thrown, that means your PowerShell is not Azure PowerShell.

Please Follow the tech link to import Azure modules into your powershell.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azureps-cmdlets-docs/ 

1. Please run the below command as it is once you are logged in.

Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.RecoveryServices</https:>

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:15 AM

All replies

• From Azure portal -->Subscriptions-->Microsoft Azure Subscription Name(you will see your Azure Subscription Name here)-->Resource Providers.

Check if the Microsoft.RecoveryServices provider is registered. If not, register it and enable backup. To register provider, follow the steps below:

1.Please open windows powershell as Admin.

2.Run this: Login-AzureRmAccount

3.A pop up will come asking for your Azure credentials.

Note: If an error is thrown, that means your PowerShell is not Azure PowerShell.

Please Follow the tech link to import Azure modules into your powershell.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azureps-cmdlets-docs/ 

1. Please run the below command as it is once you are logged in.

Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.RecoveryServices</https:>

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Thanks a lot for you reply. I will keep your post if I encounter more issues in the future.

Fortunately, seems that the issue has resolved itself about an hour ago. Makes me believe that there is quite a delay between the time the upgrade is done and the time it actually completely registers on azure's side. I wish there was some kind of note mentioning there would be such a significant delay(more than 24 hours in my case). On the portal everything has been showing the right subscription as active but nothing mentioning that it would not fully take effect until a day or so. Ho well, this said, I'm relieved it's not a more serious issue and that everything is working now.

Anyway thanks for your reply.   

Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:08 PM
  • Glad to hear it is resolved :) 

Upgrade subscription from free trial to Pay-As-You-Go, should happen on the go if the trial account is well within 30 days period. For a free trial expired, upgrade should take place in an hour or so. However, it is rare observation where customers face this kind of issue and it takes more than 24 hours. It is always recommended to reach out to Azure subscription management team by creating a support request. Creating a support request in this matter is free of cost and you will receive faster resolution to your issue.

Appreciate your patience in this matter!

Thanks

Friday, October 4, 2019 12:12 PM