Beta 2 Installation bug RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am not exactly sure what the root cause was, but I experienced installation errors with beta 2 drop from tonight. My error logs were uploaded via the crash wizard.

By digging through the logs I was able to figure out how to manually perform the failing steps, and then re-run the installer wizard. The installation component that was failing was:

silverlight_uninstallrtmpatches.exe /q /uninstall

Since the temp folder is not cleaned up until you click Finish to submit the installation feedback to Microsoft, I decided to try running that action and omitted the /q switch so that the UI would not be suppressed. Running it in this way, I was prompted for the source media location for Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite. After pointing it to my VSTS DVD, the tool completed successfully. I was then able to restart the normal installation for beta 2 ("silverlight_chainer.exe"), which then completed without any additional errors.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is that I followed the readme instructions in beta1 to integrate the Silverlight Help into my locally installed MSDN Library help system. I don't think that many people noticed those instructions, or felt it necessary to integrate the help. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the errors I encountered - just throwing it out as an idea.

Friday, June 6, 2008 11:26 PM