none
Speeding up load time for Bing Maps on mobile devices? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am wondering if there are any resources or best practices for preparing Bing Maps for mobile devices. For my map, I am using a couple of modules (GeoJson, Autosuggest, Search). My map is currently taking about 7 or so seconds before rendering to the page. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can speed this up for mobile devices?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Thanks!

Friday, June 8, 2018 3:10 PM

All replies

• Those modules are fairly small and likely not the issue. Be sure to load the modules all at once by passing them in as an array into the loadModule function. You can find a write up about this here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt712870.aspx#Loading Multiple Modules This will load the modules in parallel rather than synchronously which would be faster.

Usually the number one reasons for slow loading is the number of HTTP requests. If you have a lot of images and or files, try and combine them together to reduce the number of files that need to be downloaded. Usually the number of files is more of a bottle neck than the size of each file as browsers are limited to the number of concurrent requests they can make. If you have a lot of images, consider creating an image sprite. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Friday, June 8, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Thanks that's really helpful - I appreciate it. Also, I was reading/writing GeoJson shapes on initial load, which I found was significantly slowing it down. I've made some adjustments when working with mobile to fit my use case. Thanks again for your module loading suggestion. 
    Friday, June 8, 2018 8:01 PM