none
Create Project from Existing Code or Cookiecutter RRS feed

• Question

• SOLVED (see my post below)

Well this is pointless since I cannot include screenshots or links.

Attempting to create a project from existing code fails and produces an error: 

This problem was identified here: at the forums on 7a48e211-07c9-4d8a-ad08-0cd1139d1f30 vs2019-community-1661-and-python? forum=vssetup

It was then reported and a solution was posted (update):  at the developer community at 1064606 creating-a-new-project-from-existing-python-code

The topic was closed.

However, the solution did not solve the issue (as noted by others in the comments at the second link).

It also fails if I attempt to import any code from the Cookiecutter window directly

Note that I customized the install location for VS Studio as shown in the image

if you want to see the image go to imgur forward slash "a" forward slash "YaymySr"

• Edited by Hoopdy Saturday, July 4, 2020 10:18 PM Fixed problem
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Hoopdy,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Follow the description from the link you shared above, I test on my side with Visual Studio Preview (16.7.0 Preview 3.1) and I successfully create the Regression Project (cookiecutter) without this error message.

I think this issue may be fixed since Visual Studio Preview 16.7.0 version, you may need to kindly use VS Preview 16.7.0 version or wait for the next newly released version of VS(Enterprise, Professional and Community).

Besides, there is a similar issue and you can refer to it.

Feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

I will give this a shot and let you know.  

Thanks for getting back to me ... 

the output window indicates that it is looking in the wrong place for \\Python\\Python37\\venvlauncher.exe and venvwlauncher.exe (appears to point to a default install location). However, neither program was installed there.

Is it possible to change those paths? Py 3.7 is installed at that location, just not those program files.

Is it possible to designate a different directory for all of the config/reference folders installed in CURRENTUSER directory? For example .cookiecutters.

• Edited by Hoopdy Friday, July 3, 2020 5:26 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 5:06 PM
  • Did not resolve issue. It is still referencing the incorrect location.

Full output is: 

----- Installing cookiecutter -----
    Deleting previous environment at 'C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CookiecutterTools\env'
    Creating virtual environment at 'C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CookiecutterTools\env'
    Unable to copy 'C:\\ProgramFilesCoding\\MicrosoftVS\\Shared\\Python37_86\\venvlauncher.exe'
    Unable to copy 'C:\\ProgramFilesCoding\\MicrosoftVS\\Shared\\Python37_86\\venvlauncher.exe'
    Unable to copy 'C:\\ProgramFilesCoding\\MicrosoftVS\\Shared\\Python37_86\\venvwlauncher.exe'
    Error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
    Deleting previous environment at 'C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CookiecutterTools\env'
    Creating virtual environment without pip at 'C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CookiecutterTools\env'
    Unable to copy 'C:\\ProgramFilesCoding\\MicrosoftVS\\Shared\\Python37_86\\venvwlauncher.exe'
    Installing pip into virtual environment at 'C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CookiecutterTools\env'
    The system cannot find the file specified
    A task was canceled.
    ----- Failed to install cookiecutter -----

• Edited by Hoopdy Friday, July 3, 2020 7:13 PM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 7:13 PM
  • Hello,

I uninstalled and uninstalled/reinstalled everything and then ran VS with admin privileges and was able to use the cookiecutter feature without any further errors. 

I will leave my other posts up in case anyone else has this issue.

Thank you

Saturday, July 4, 2020 10:18 PM
  • Hi Hoopdy,

Thank you for your feedback.

Glad to hear that your issue is solved, if possible you can mark your reply as answer, so that other forum members who meet the similar issue could refer to this thread and get more help.

Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:55 AM