none
Visual Studio 2017 crashed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just recently installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2017. This is what happened.

• Run as administrator visual studio (devenv.exe)
    • open my test project (c++ win 32 console app)
    • everything loads then a popup said "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 RC has stopped working"
    • It tries to restart Visual Studio but same thing will happen next.

Note:

1. I tried to repair.
    2. I tried to freshly install.
    3. I tried Visual Studio 2015 but have different error. You can see from here (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a2d48720-88b3-422b-bf73-5554bd4ab0e2/visual-studio-wont-launch?forum=vssetup&prof=required)
    4. I found that there's the same error from both of my activity log which says something about "Visual Studio Source Control Integration Package"
    5. I don't know why my activity log for Visual Studio 2017 can't be found anymore but I did saw it an hour ago.
    Friday, February 17, 2017 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN FORUM.

Please create a new c++ win 32 console application to check if the issue persists and let me know the result, if visual studio work well, the issue may be related to your test project, if visual studio still stop working, please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode, then you could open your test project or create a new project, if it works and it looks like this issue caused by the extensions or you need to remove the installed extensions under Tools—Extensions and Updates.

If these doesn't be helpful, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Hello, after I created the new c++ win 32 console application, it crashed again. I am about to type something but it crashed right away. Then I tried run as administrator cmd and it launch like usual but the problem is still there. It crashed again just like before.

Here is my activity log for Visual Studio 2017

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArDqNr3BU9Bfh1U68c7RZ-wY5-_i

Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

The others who meet the similar issue by uninstalling visual studio 2017 completely and reinstall it.

You could uninstall visual studio 2017 by the following steps:

1. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, if there has ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2017’, right click it and choose ‘Uninstall’
    2. Try to delete the following installed folders: (you can back up those folders before any modification, in case we need to roll back)

• Go to the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio and delete the ‘Packages’ folder and ‘Setup’ folder if there has.

• Go to the Visual Studio installation folder (normally under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio) and delete the folder ‘2017’

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:17 AM