none
Publishing from VS2019 stops working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 3 function apps that I have been able to publish from VS2019 on an almost-daily basis for 4 months. This morning, exactly one of them started throwing errors on Publish. 

No changes have been made to the code, to the publish profiles or to the target environment in Azure. It still builds successfully. It still runs locally. 

The error manifests as a dialog:

Publish has encountered an error.
       Publishing failed.

A diagnostic log has been written to the following location:
       "{my  AppData path\Local\Temp\tmpACC8.tmp"

The file contains the following, setting a new standard for useless error messages in the process:

14/11/2019 10:34:34 AM
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Exception: Publishing failed.
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Microsoft.Publish.Framework.Model.DefaultPublishSteps.<>c__DisplayClass26_0.<IsBuildCompletedSuccessfully>b__2()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Microsoft.Publish.Framework.Model.DefaultPublishSteps.<DefaultCorePublishStep>d__23.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Microsoft.Publish.Framework.ViewModel.ProfileSelectorViewModel.<RunPublishTaskAsync>d__202.MoveNext()
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Exception: Publishing failed.<---
    System.Exception: Publishing failed.
    ===================

All our developers across the state now see the same failure when attempting to publish this same app. We have tried downloading and importing new publish profiles, but it makes no difference.

Anybody seen this before? Any ideas?

Mike Wiese

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Just checking if you have tried all the below things 

By following the above steps, If you are still experiencing the issue , we need to look at the back end logs for further troubleshooting. In that case I would recommend you to send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com along with the link to this thread and instructions will be sent back for next steps

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Thank you for your response Dixit.

I made sure to upgrade Visual Studio to 16.3.9. That did not change the behaviour. But after I changed the WEBSITE_RUN_FROM_PACKAGE setting from 1 to 0, I was able to publish successfully again

Thanks very much

Mike Wiese

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Just checking if you have tried all the below things 

By following the above steps, If you are still experiencing the issue , we need to look at the back end logs for further troubleshooting. In that case I would recommend you to send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com along with the link to this thread and instructions will be sent back for next steps

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Thank you for your response Dixit.

I made sure to upgrade Visual Studio to 16.3.9. That did not change the behaviour. But after I changed the WEBSITE_RUN_FROM_PACKAGE setting from 1 to 0, I was able to publish successfully again

Thanks very much

Mike Wiese

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:05 AM
  • I am glad it worked. 

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:33 AM