none
Cannot create AlwaysOn High Availability Group RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot successfully create Always on High Availability Group because the Netbios name  of the server is more than 15 characters. Getting the error message below;

Cannot bring the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource (ID 'aXXXXXXX-f8dc-4b2a-90dd-6b0a705e8994') online (Error code 5018).  The WSFC service may not be running or may not be accessible in its current state, or the WSFC resource may not be in a state that could accept the request.  For information about this error code, see "System Error Codes" in the Windows Development documentation.

Failed to designate the local availability replica of availability group 'EXXXX'as the primary replica.  The operation encountered SQL Server error 41066 and has been terminated.  Check the preceding error and the SQL Server error log for more details about the error and corrective actions.

Failed to create availability group 'EXXXX'.  The operation encountered SQL Server error 41160 and has been rolled back.  Check the SQL Server error log for more details.  When the cause of the error has been resolved, retry CREATE AVAILABILITY GROUP command. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 41066)

The SQL server is in production so i cannot at this point rename the server. Any work around please?

Thanks

• Edited by oprod Monday, August 19, 2019 7:10 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi oprod,

Please try to add start up account of cluster service to SQL Server login and grant sysadmin role (Start up account of cluster service will be nt authority\system by default). Please refer to Cannot bring the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource (ID ‘ ‘) online (Error code 5018).

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Hi Cathy, 

Thanks so much for your response. 

I have done that already and still failed. I did  several tests and confirmed that the issue is the length of the server name that is more than 15 characters. 

Option is to rename the server and reduce the character to less than 15 but we want to avoid. 

Is there a way we can make it work is this current situation?

Regards,

Ope

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:51 PM
  • Hi oprod,

>> I did  several tests and confirmed that the issue is the length of the server name that is more than 15 characters.

NetBIOS recognizes only the first 15 chars in the dns_name. If you have two WSFC clusters that are controlled by the same Active Directory and you try to create availability group listeners in both clusters using names with more than 15 characters and an identical 15 character prefix, an error reports that the Virtual Network Name resource could not be brought online. For information about prefix naming rules for DNS names, see Assigning Domain Names. It seems you need to choose the  option is to rename the server and reduce the character to less than 15.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:32 AM