none
Table relationships RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is there a way to view a data model of all tables from SQL server database. I am basically looking for a way to view the existing integrity relationships between the tables to understand how they are related and to refer to this database model while creating joins while coding. 

I dont see an option to use database diagrams in SQL server.

Please suggest if there is a way to do this either through a third party(free) tool or Access database or any other way.

Kindly advise?

Regards,

Nigs

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Nigs,

Actually SSMS is a great tool, some third-party tool is not free.

I think you may still use SSMSv18.0 , look again in  help >>about .

you can see two ssms(ssms v18.0 and ssms v18.4) in Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features?

And if it is possible, Please unintall the ssms v18.0.

Looking forward to you reply.

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nigs_2019 Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Nigs,

you can use the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).

please refer to :

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1816/getting-started-with-sql-server-database-diagrams/

https://dataedo.com/kb/tools/ssms/create-database-diagram

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:47 AM
  • Hi Cris,

Like I mentioned earlier, i dont see database diagrams option anywhere on SSMS. 

It may be because its how it was configured when installed by the administrator or it may be coz it is configured that way coz its not required in the project environment.

Please suggest if there are any other alternatives.

Can I use Access db in anyway?

Regards,

Nigs

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:18 AM
  • Hi Nigs,

What is the version of your SSMS?try to install the latest version?

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:23 AM
  • It is 2018.

Regards,

Nigs

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:28 AM
  • Hi Nigs,

you mean the ssms V18.0?

you can see it on  help >>about.

The ssms v18.0 dropped the database diagrams, please install the latest version.

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:34 AM
  • Yes Thats right...its v18.

It says SQL server management studio v18.0 

Could you please share the link from where i can download the latest?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:43 AM
  • Hi Nigs,

Please see my first reply.

There are also two good articles there.

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:47 AM
  • Hi Cris,

Many thanks for your help.

Installed the latest version and tried.

However, the database diagram option is still not there.

Please could you suggest any free alternative tools to view ERDs or any plugins that will let me incorporate the database diagram feature in SSMS?

Regards,

Nigs

• Edited by Nigs_2019 Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:21 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:20 PM
  • Hi Nigs,

Actually SSMS is a great tool, some third-party tool is not free.

I think you may still use SSMSv18.0 , look again in  help >>about .

you can see two ssms(ssms v18.0 and ssms v18.4) in Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features?

And if it is possible, Please unintall the ssms v18.0.

Looking forward to you reply.

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nigs_2019 Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:58 AM
  • Hi Nigs,

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:30 AM
  • Sure Cris. I'll mark it as resolved.

Although my issue is not resolved yet, but your suggestions could be of help to others in different other scenarios.

Regards,

Nigs

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:48 AM
  • Hello Nigs,

Thanks for your contribution, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

if your issue is not resolved or you have another questions, please feel free to ask. 

Best regards,

Cris

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:04 AM