Best quorum configuration for SQL-server 2012 cluster ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What is the best choice for quorum configuration in a SQL-server 2012 installation with only database availability groups?   So no failover clustering installation and no shared storage is provided. 

In my opinion it would be Node and File Share Majority since we only have 2 nodes?   It points me to the "books online of 2008 R2" for further information, because the installation says this quorum configuration is not the best one.   But SQL 2008 R2 doesn't know about database availability groups.

Any advice or opinion is much appreciated ?   Most of our customers will use a 2-node setup and no shared storage for Denali.

Best regards, David
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:28 AM

All replies

• It depends. If you have only 3 nodes, node + file share witness will work, but remember the share should be on a completely separate server and if spanning subnets/locations with your AG configuration, in a different subnet/location to avoid one being a single point of failure.

You could also, if you wanted to do local storage for quorum (very small disk footprint requirement), you could have a local disk quorum per subnet - only enabled via cluster.exe, NOT PowerShell.

Quorum gets a lot of time in my new class (doing one in March) and book (coming mid-2012ish).

Allan Hirt Blog: http://www.sqlha.com/blog Author: Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering (out now!)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:12 PM