none
Azure Bastion Host created but there is no Bastion option when attempting to RDP? RRS feed

• Question

• Azure Bastion Host created but there is no Bastion option when attempting to RDP?

I am using Bastion Preview in ARM and bastion created with no errors.

I successfully created a Bastion host however when I attempt to RDP to a IaaS there is no Bastion option.  I only see RDP and SSH.

Should the VMs which are being RDP to be in the same RG as the Bastion?  Same subnet as the Bastion?   

dsk

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

You need to place Azure Bastion in the same VNET of the VM which you are trying to RDP. 

Azure Bastion instance are deployed in a VNET, and post deployment, you should be able to RDP to any VMs in the VNET where Bastion is deployed, not the resource group.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Regards, 

Msrini

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:07 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in if you have had a chance to see the previous response. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same.

Regards, 

Msrini

Friday, September 13, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Can files such as binaries be copied to the connected IaaS when using a bastion host?

dsk

Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:24 PM
  • As of today, you can only copy text and transfer of any files are not possible. 

If the above response helped, please mark it as answered to help other community members. 

Regards, 

Msrini

Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:51 PM
  • I do not understand your sentence structure above?

Are you saying:

1) do you mean you can copy (X Copy) from your workstation then paste text into a document on IaaS?

2) Using your bastion host, can you connect to Server A then RDP to Server B.  In other words you are creating a RDP session in Server A to connect to Server B.   In this case you can transfer files between Server A and Server B.   Note- the bastion host is being used from your workstation.

3) Can you map a drive from your workstation to Server A using the bastion host?  This is so we can transfer files to the workstation.   

dsk

Sunday, September 15, 2019 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

1) do you mean you can copy (X Copy) from your workstation then paste text into a document on IaaS? Yes, when you can copy to the clipboard and then you can paste it in either Server 1 or Server 2. 

2) Using your bastion host, can you connect to Server A then RDP to Server B.  In other words you are creating a RDP session in Server A to connect to Server B.   In this case you can transfer files between Server A and Server B.   Note- the bastion host is being used from your workstation. All you need to do is to copy the text to the clipboard of the Azure Bastion. Once that is done you should be able to use that text in Server B.

3) Can you map a drive from your workstation to Server A using the bastion host?  This is so we can transfer files to the workstation. Only text files can be copied via Bastion.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/bastion/bastion-vm-copy-paste

This public preview is provided without a service level agreement and should not be used for production workloads. Certain features may not be supported, may have constrained capabilities, or may not be available in all Azure locations. See the Supplemental Terms of Use for Microsoft Azure Previews for details.

Regards, 

Msrini

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:24 AM
  • Hi, 

Do you have any update on this issue?

Regards, 

Msrini

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:32 PM