none
Choose Recovery Model RRS feed

• Question

• 2. For each of the following 4 databases, specify which database recovery model you would select for it and the reason why (FULL, SIMPLE,and Bulk Logged):

a) RegisteredUsers: this database contains data of all the registered users of the company's application. Users can register through the phone and this information is put into the system by a representative. Call center is open 9am-5pm, 7 days a week.

b) RealOrders: this database contains the orders that the users can make through the website, on the phone or through mail-in from the company. The mailing house works 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. The website is accessible 24x7x365.

c) AggsData: this database contains aggregated information from the records on RealOrders and the RegisteredUsers databases.  The aggregated data is being calculated once or few times a day and not modified after that by any additional user or process.

d) ArchiveData: this database contains records from RealOrders and RegisteredUsers that have become older than 3 years and so get moved to this archive database. The archival happens through a couple of automated jobs that do a mass insert to ArchiveData every two nights at 1AM. Once archived, the data cannot be modified. The next night, the archived data is being deleted from RealOrders and RegisteredUsers databases.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:06 PM

Answers

• My opinion:

a) FULL: these data are critical for business and are often modified.

b) FULL: these data are critical for business and are often modified.

c) SIMPLE: Os dados são cópias agregadas dos bancos de dados: RealOrders e RegisteredUsers. Não há dados críticos de perda nesse caso. Se ocorrer perda, basta reprocessar os dados.

d) BULK-LOGGED: nesse caso somente há processamento na noite, e somente gravará log data que não são inserções em massa. Sem impacto de espaço em disco.

I can hardly read this(this forum has language as English) and so, I guess is condition with Ashwani. And irony is someone proposed it as answer just for sake pf proposing

This is an off topic question. Recovery model determines how much data you can loose in case of disaster and nothing about RPO or RTO is given so it would not be correct to suggest about recovery model.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:57 AM

All replies

• 2. For each of the following 4 databases, specify which database recovery model you would select for it and the reason why (FULL, SIMPLE,and Bulk Logged):

So why don't you post your own suggestions, accompanied with some short motivation? Then we can tell you whether your reasoning was sound or not.

• Proposed as answer by Ice Fan Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:41 PM
  • My opinion:

c) SIMPLE: The data is aggregated copies of databases: RealOrders and RegisteredUsers. There is no loss of critical data in that case. If you experience loss, simply reprocessing the data.

d) BULK-LOGGED: in this case only for processing at night, and only writes log data that are not bulk inserts. No impact of disk space.

• Proposed as answer by Ice Fan Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:15 AM
    • Edited by MarcosLanzarini Monday, January 18, 2016 10:30 AM Correct language used.
    • Unproposed as answer by Ice Fan Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:48 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:30 AM
  • Ashwani.Pandey,

This helped you?

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:22 AM
  • My opinion:

c) SIMPLE: Os dados são cópias agregadas dos bancos de dados: RealOrders e RegisteredUsers. Não há dados críticos de perda nesse caso. Se ocorrer perda, basta reprocessar os dados.

d) BULK-LOGGED: nesse caso somente há processamento na noite, e somente gravará log data que não são inserções em massa. Sem impacto de espaço em disco.

I can hardly read this(this forum has language as English) and so, I guess is condition with Ashwani. And irony is someone proposed it as answer just for sake pf proposing

This is an off topic question. Recovery model determines how much data you can loose in case of disaster and nothing about RPO or RTO is given so it would not be correct to suggest about recovery model.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:57 AM
  • I'm sorry, I got confused, because I too contribute with Forum of Brasil.

Answer edited. Thanks for feedback.

I agree that the Recovery Model is his decision, but I think that question was the academic side, Microsoft's recommendations. This question is part of the exam 70-462.

I agree that the Recovery Model is his decision, but I think that question was theacademic side, Microsoft's recommendations. This question is part of the exam 70-462.
    Monday, January 18, 2016 10:33 AM