How to save a chart or data as a pdf file or word doc? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use the charting capability in Silverlight. Does anyone know, is there a way to save a chart as a pdf file or word document?

Yokow

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:11 AM

Answers

• Silverlight Toolkit Charting is just a Silverlight Control, we relay on capabilities from the Silverlight framework.

There's no way I'm aware of in the Client side to generate PDF/Word documents. If there is a 3rd party solution, it'll probably work with Bitmaps and you can inject a WriteableBitmap with the bitmap for that Chart.

More to the point, You can have a server-side render out the Chart in WPF (With the experimental WPF Charting we released), save as a file and have Silverlight download that in whatever format you'd like.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

• Not in the current version. I suspect you could get the values in CSV or something and import them into Excel (which could then be taken to Word/PDF).

I think Telerik have a chart that has export to Word functionality.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Silverlight Toolkit Charting is just a Silverlight Control, we relay on capabilities from the Silverlight framework.

There's no way I'm aware of in the Client side to generate PDF/Word documents. If there is a 3rd party solution, it'll probably work with Bitmaps and you can inject a WriteableBitmap with the bitmap for that Chart.

More to the point, You can have a server-side render out the Chart in WPF (With the experimental WPF Charting we released), save as a file and have Silverlight download that in whatever format you'd like.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:39 PM
  • I have posted a solution to export Silverlight chart to MS word, sample application is also attchaed with post.

http://abubakar-dar.blogspot.com/2010/09/export-silverlight-charts-to-ms-word.html

Soon excel and PDF exports will be available too :)

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:45 AM