none
Sql server database configuration, Data base transactional Logging Modes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     I had to configure around 13 different databases on  MS SQL server 2005 in a windows 2003 64 bit server machine. Is there any set of steps which i need to take to for the configuration of databases(dba recomendations). 
    For ex: 
    1.) If i configure the 13 different databases across different drives like d,e,f will this help in improving performance by avoiding the load on a single windows partition drive and thus improving the I/O performance.
    2.) Also I am confused about the type of Transactional Log mode which i need to choose from the avaialbe options(ex: Simple Mode,Complete etc,..) . Is there any website or links which would provide these informations.

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:23 AM

Answers

• If you can arrange separate physical disks for each database then it will surely optimize the performance. And for database with heavy update/delete operations keeping the ldf file on seperate physical disk than mdf file is a good option.
    Recovery models belong to possible point of recovery in case of any disaster. With simple recovery model you will not be able to recover the changes after your last full and differential backups. While in case of full recovery model log file is created and recovery to the point of failure is possible. So you may choose recovery model according to your data loss capacity.
    Atif Shehzad Database Administrator Pakistan Revenue Automation Limited
    • Marked as answer by kumar B Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:46 AM

All replies

• If you can arrange separate physical disks for each database then it will surely optimize the performance. And for database with heavy update/delete operations keeping the ldf file on seperate physical disk than mdf file is a good option.
    Recovery models belong to possible point of recovery in case of any disaster. With simple recovery model you will not be able to recover the changes after your last full and differential backups. While in case of full recovery model log file is created and recovery to the point of failure is possible. So you may choose recovery model according to your data loss capacity.
    Atif Shehzad Database Administrator Pakistan Revenue Automation Limited
    • Marked as answer by kumar B Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Thank you
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:39 AM