Silverlight Out of browser after 2021 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I know Silverlight will not work in browser (Internet Explorer) around 2021 (or even before this date if IE stops support).

What I would like to know is what will happen to Silverlight apps that run 'out-of-browser' after this 2021.  Will they still work and if so how are updates the the app deployed?

Thanks

Friday, August 4, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi griff64,

As far as I know, Microsoft doesn't have any news about the plans for Silverlight after 2021. And in Windows 10, Silverlight still supported in IE 11 even it doesn't be supported in Edge.

Since all of us doesn't know how will Microsoft do with Silverlight, excepted out-of-browser Silverlight application, I suggest you convert your out-of-browser Silverlight application to UWP application before 2021. Because UWP also use XAML design which is similar with Silverlight designer and could run as desktop application without browser.

Following thread also discuss the future of Silverlight after 2021, which also contains some suggestion for out-of-browser Silverlight from other communities. Please refer to, hope that could help you.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/725405d2-e179-4c10-b2de-26fbbfb9dcb1/future-of-silverlight?forum=silverlightgen

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 7, 2017 5:44 AM