Visual Studio Express Running on Windows RT RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any plan to develop a Visual Studio that RUNS on Windows RT?  I don't understand why this hasn't been done.  Yes, I know the standard comeback is to run some kind of remote debugger on your desktop/laptop BUT that doesn't really help me when I want to code in a coffee shop or on an airplane on a long flight.

And I don't understand why this is treated like a weird request.  Just do it Microsoft :-)  You'll get more sales to app developers. 

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi BladeProfessor,

Welcome to MSDN Forum Support.

No, the current beta VS11 Express edition only supports creating Metro apps.  You'll need to use the VS2010 Express edition if you want to create legacy apps.

Sincerely,

Jason Wang

Jason Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Jason, but what I'm asking for is a version of Visual Studio 2012 Express that (for example) creates Windows Store apps only.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Hi BladeProfessor,

I feel you can try using Express for windows8.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-8

Sincerely,

Jason Wang

Jason Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I meant that runs on a Windows 8 RT device.  Developers will buy a Windows RT Tablet if Microsoft gives us the ability to develop on it. 

No, tethering it wirelessly doesn't work when you bring your tablet onto an airplane or your hacking code on a long car trip.  We want to be able to develop *on* the Windows 8 RT device.  Otherwise, I will just buy a Windows 8 (regular) tablet; and I did--A Samsung Ativ Smart PC. 
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:23 PM