none
how to silently install SSCERuntime RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

using the WiX - installer I would like to silently install SQL Server Compact unattended using the following Settings:

<PackageGroup Id="EmbeddedSql">
          <ExePackage
            InstallCommand="/quiet"
            RepairCommand="/quiet"
            UninstallCommand="/uninstall /quiet"        
            SourceFile="<.. my path ..>\SSCERuntime_x64-DEU.exe"
            InstallCondition="VersionNT64"/>

<ExePackage
            InstallCommand="/quiet"
            RepairCommand="/quiet"
            UninstallCommand="/uninstall /quiet"
            SourceFile="<.. my path ..>\SSCERuntime_x86-DEU.exe"
            InstallCondition="NOT VersionNT64"/>
        </PackageGroup>

But the installation fails. The MSI Installer window pops up showing me the possible option, among which I see "/quiet" ... which I am using.

What would be the right "commands" to achieve this goal?

Regards
    Rainer

Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have not been able to do that, why not simply add the SQL Compact DLL files as content with your app - depending of the Data Access API you use, I can point you to a blog post of mine that describes how to do this.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Hi Erik,

thanks for responding to my question!

1. I prefer to use the official setups for two reasons:
      In case there is a update it seams to be easier to deploy them along with my project
    2. Since I have no control on the target system it is - for me - easier to handle whether to install the 64bit or 32 bit Version

In the meanwhile I actually achieved a silent installation. I extracted the msi form the .exe and used a MsiPackage insteadd of ExePackage. It now looks like this:

<PackageGroup Id="EmbeddedSql">
          <MsiPackage
            Visible="yes"
            Permanent="yes"
            SourceFile="<..myPath..>\SSCERuntime_x64-DEU.msi"
            InstallCondition="VersionNT64"/>

<MsiPackage
            Permanent="yes"
            Visible="yes"
            SourceFile="<..myPath..>\SSCERuntime_x86-DEU.msi"
            InstallCondition="NOT VersionNT64"/>
    </PackageGroup>

Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:14 PM
  • On a x64 system, you must install both the x86 and x64 MSIs, in that order, or the engine will fail.

Re issue 2:

You can include both the x86 and x64 runtime to any system, and use Any CPU configuration, or you can force x86, and your app will run on any system

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Hello Erik,

thanks for your hints. I just tested my installer on a W7 64Bit system and every thing works fine, although I am only installing - according to the packagegroup above - theSSCERuntime_x64-DEU.msi

Regards
    Rainer

Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Good luck with that!

Monday, November 10, 2014 1:40 PM
  • SQL Compact 4 SP1 x86 says straight up "SQL Server Companct x86 installation package is not supported on x64 Operating System.".  

You can extract the MSI file by using /x where it will prompt you for an extraction folder.  

SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.exe /x

From there, you can do a silent install using standard MSI commands.  I use /qn /norestart

msiexec /i SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi /qn /norestart

• Proposed as answer by Mike R Plichta Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:13 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 9:05 PM