none
HELP!!! SP2 CU 11 gone bad for sql2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

need some help.  I installed SP2 CU 11 and ALL of the services will not start!  here the odd thing about this is that all the accounts  that the services want to log on with are there but i cant change the passwords I can only see the accounts when i search for them under the service loggon.  So if i cant see the account and it cant logon because of a password how the heck to a change it!!

why are the accounts like this  and why are they not logging on after the sp2 cu11 for sql2016

Help!

I am new to this so your help will appreciated 

thank you 

Paula

• Edited by anzie2 Friday, January 17, 2020 8:48 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2020 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hello

need some help.  I installed SP2 CU 11 and ALL of the services will not start!  here the odd thing about this is that all the accounts  that the services want to log on with are there but i cant change the passwords I can only see the accounts when i search for them under the service loggon.  So if i cant see the account and it cant logon because of a password how the heck to a change it!!

why are the accounts like this  and why are they not logging on after the sp2 cu11

Help!

thank you 

Paula

• Merged by Dan GuzmanMVP Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:49 AM Merge duplicate question
    Friday, January 17, 2020 8:35 PM
  • Hi, what error are you seeing (how do you know the password is indeed the issue) and how are you trying to change the password? Is the account running the services a Sql account or a windows account? 
    Friday, January 17, 2020 9:02 PM
  • Hi it is the standard error

the service failed to start due to the following error: the service did not  start due to a logon failure

Friday, January 17, 2020 9:19 PM
  • Hello

why are the accounts like this  and why are they not logging on after the sp2 cu11

Help!

thank you 

Paula

Good day Paula,

Obviously we cannot know "why are the accounts like this  and why are they not logging on after the sp2 cu11" since we did not checked it yet and what you describe it is not a normal behavior. The important step is to find the answer and fix it, and for this we will need more information from you.

Some points:

> As a best practice SQL Server service should be using a minimally privileged accounts, which have only the privileges they actually needs.

For most cases, avoid running SQL Server services under local system, local administrator or domain administrator accounts.

> Changes in the accounts and passwords should be done only via configuration manager! Do not use services.msc tool! It is possible that you made a change in the past which now impact your system.

1. Which type of account do you use for the services?

By default SQL Server installation uses Virtual service like "NT Service\MSSQL$SQL2019" for example. You can check the following doscument to get the list of default accounts which the server use:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/configure-windows-service-accounts-and-permissions?view=sql-server-ver15#Default_Accts

* When specifying a virtual account to start SQL Server, leave the password blank.

>> I installed SP2 CU 11

2. Which version of SQL Server are you using?!?

CU11 exists in few versions like SQL Server 2014, 2016, and 2017 for example.

3. Please add screenshot of the error you get and full text from the error log or from the error message.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Edited by pituachMVP Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:48 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:23 PM
  • Are you a local administrator on the SQL Server?

Are you sure the passwords for the accounts had not previously changed and the post install restart just showed that you had the old ones in there?  Are you looking at these services from Configuration Manager or Control Panel>>Services?  Config Mgr is the right place.

An account password can change and SQL will not know it until the next restart.

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

• Edited by KevinBHill Sunday, January 19, 2020 4:05 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:26 PM
  • >>>and ALL of the services will not start!  

Can you look into Event Viewer and tell us what is the error?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:02 AM
  • >>>>did not  start due to a logon failure

Has someone changed the pass? Can you look into Event Viewer to see what is going on?

Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:44 AM
  • Hi it is the standard error

the service failed to start due to the following error: the service did not  start due to a logon failure

Hi,

I don't like to repeat myself...

Did you read my last response (before this one)?

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:48 PM
  • Hi Paula,

Open the Errorlog and see if there is anything. Also, does Event Viewer provide more information?

in addition, you can refer to following posts:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11390921/sql-server-2012-cant-start-because-of-a-login-failure
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44032281/cant-start-sql-server-services
    https://windowsreport.com/service-didnt-start-logon-failure/

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 2:44 AM
  • >>2. Which version of SQL Server are you using?!?

>>>CU11 exists in few versions like SQL Server 2014, 2016, and 2017 for example.

HELP!!! SP2 CU 11 gone bad for sql2016

Monday, January 20, 2020 5:28 AM
  • Thank you for all the help

This is what I found that all the SQL service were logging or were try to logon and could not due to logon failure because on not being assign "log on as a service" in the gpo.  I created a group on the local server and added all the default sql service account that were created by the installation to the group.  I then added that group to the server GPO.  Once i rebooted all the services started correctly

thanks again

Paula

Monday, January 20, 2020 2:57 PM
  • Hi Paula,

I am glad you have solved your problem.

I think the links in my response provided the solution.

Please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 1:01 AM