none
Retention policies doubt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a doubt, i have MARS installed and i configured a retention policy of 7 days, ¿ what will happen the day 8 with the FULL BACKUP taken the first day and that it is supposed to be deleted because of the configuration of the retention policy?

I want to explain myself better, i know that the first backup is a FULL backup of all the information and the others are INCREMENTAL backups. If i define a retention policy of 7 days, what will happen the DAY 8 with the FULL BACKUP, when it is supposed that the oldest backup (in this case the FULL Backup) will be deleted.

¿ I will lose the BACKUP FULL taken the first day ?. If the answer is yes ¿ What will happen with all the others incremental backup wich depends on it ?

Thanks in advance

Friday, October 4, 2019 1:20 AM

All replies

• If you've set retention policy for 7 days, on the 8th day the full backup will not get deleted only the recovery point gets deleted. Because if the full backup is deleted there will be no incremental backups further. 

For example:
    1st day full backup (100 GB) on premise to Azure = Successful
    2nd day only the changes/ churn rate will be backed up as incremental. Could be 10 GB churn rate/changes as compared to previous day. Likewise this will continue till the 7th day. On 8th day as per the retention policy, the first day recovery point gets deleted and the full backup is merged with the 2nd day incremental backup which becomes the oldest recovery point for you to recover your data. For this day if you restore you will get 100 GB data. Because there was no additional data added to the full backup just the changes within 100 GB were backed up as incremental on the 2nd day. 

Reference: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/microsoft-azure-backup-save-on-long-term-storage/

HTH

Friday, October 4, 2019 10:42 AM