Expression error -812 RRS feed

• Question

• I've enjoyed using Expression. Having begun as an iView user, I upgraded to Expression Media 1 and then Expression Media 2. After the upgrade, I tried to open my catalog and received an error message -- error -812. I installed SP2, and now EM2 tries to open my catalog but can only recover 912 items out of more than 7,000. I've found a backup copy of the file but get the same issue and recovery when I try to open it. I'm on a Mac. Is there anything at all I can do? If I can't find a way into the file, I'll have lost weeks worth of work.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Valeria,

As I told ETate, it sounds like your catalog was corrupted and SP2 recovered as much as it could. It's always a good idea to sync with the original files because as a fail-safe you can always reimport the files and have all or most of your work back. Whether to rebuild the catalog depends on a couple of factors -

1. Did you sync and so have the metadata available with the original files?
    2. Were most of your catalog items restored? That is, how much of the data would you have to reenter?
    3. How many images total and how long would it take to import them again?

So for instance - if you have been syncing metadata, you have pretty much nothing to lose by building a new catalog and importing the images from scratch except the time involved. If you have been syncing but it would take hours and hours to build a new catalog, you might want to use the recovered catalog but import just those photos that are missing. (You can do that easily by updating your folders as long as they all show up in the folder structure.) If you haven't been syncing, you are going to have to reenter your metadata on those missing files.

Sorry you are having this trouble.

Hope this helps!
    Anita

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Lamar,

The problem is that there is actually corruption in the catalog. That can happen with a power surge, or a crash while Expression Media is open, or any number of other issues. SP2 contains a file recovery tool, which kicks off immediately when you try to open a corrupted catalog.

You might try importing that catalog into a new catalog. Open a brand new catalog, and click File > Import Items > From Catalog. Find the corrupted catalog and select it, and then import. Expression Media can sometimes recover more records that way. Sometimes it can't recover anything that way. But it's sure worth a try.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

Friday, April 17, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Thank you so much for the response. I did as you suggested but received the same message "The action could not be completed because because an error occurred while reading the catalog. error -812", which comes up almost immediately.   I don't suppose we could purchase any troubleshooting to try to open the file? I take it from your message this may be a lost cause......I feel a little sick to my stomach. I had found through our IT dept a couple of backup versions, which I would have thought would open. When I choose Get Info from the file menu, the window shows all the key words I used in the file to catalog the images. I know the data is there. It's a 595 mb file. 
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello Lamar,

Please send us mail at xmforum at microsoft.com, and we'll figure out how to get a copy of the catalog to support. I can't promise anything, but will try to recover.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Anita,

I've got the same problem with a catalog: I did as you suggested but received the same message "The action could not be completed because because an error occurred while reading the catalog. error -812". The catalog is more than 1 Gb and this is weeks of job.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot

Valeria

Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Hi Valeria,

As I told ETate, it sounds like your catalog was corrupted and SP2 recovered as much as it could. It's always a good idea to sync with the original files because as a fail-safe you can always reimport the files and have all or most of your work back. Whether to rebuild the catalog depends on a couple of factors -

1. Did you sync and so have the metadata available with the original files?
    2. Were most of your catalog items restored? That is, how much of the data would you have to reenter?
    3. How many images total and how long would it take to import them again?

So for instance - if you have been syncing metadata, you have pretty much nothing to lose by building a new catalog and importing the images from scratch except the time involved. If you have been syncing but it would take hours and hours to build a new catalog, you might want to use the recovered catalog but import just those photos that are missing. (You can do that easily by updating your folders as long as they all show up in the folder structure.) If you haven't been syncing, you are going to have to reenter your metadata on those missing files.

Sorry you are having this trouble.

Hope this helps!
    Anita

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hi Anita,

thanks for your answer.

We can't sync the metadata because when we send the picture to someone, we don't want that he could read that metadata.

The catalog is big more than 1 Gb and unfotunately the program wasn't able to recover anything.

So we are building a new catalog from the beginning.. there isn't anything else to do.

Best regards

Valeria

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:42 AM