can't install silverlight 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Silverlight 3 in Windows 7 and it fails because it wants to a path to the old Silverlight install which has been deleted.  This happens with the web install of Silverlight and the downloaded version of the install. 

So I searched the web and saw that I needed to uninstall the old Silverlight first.  The Windows uninstall fails.  I then deleted all Silverlight program folder and then ran a RegClean app but it still shows as being installed.

I've read a bunch of advice online but nothing seems to work.

I've never had so much trouble uninstalling a program before.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you check in your browser add-ons page whether silverlight plugin is installed or not?

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:56 PM
  • I just checked.  It doesn't show up in the add on manager in IE but windows control panel says its still installed. 

I'm beginning to think that I need to do a complete reinstall of windows to make this work.  How can this be??

Many websites say to remove it using Reg Edit and then run a Windows Cleanup util.  The cleanup util never shows me Silverlight, which I'm supposed to select to clean.

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Hi BlubberBot,

Can you try the solution I provided in some other post?
    You can find it here: http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/156609.aspx

Try that approach & if it resolves your problem then please mark this post as answer.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hi microsoft_kc,

I just tried your suggestion and it doesn't work.  when I try to uninstall it still wants a path to the silverlight.msi and I don't have it anymore.

When I search for silverlight in regedit I do see it listed in a few places but not in the spot you suggested to remove it from.

Thanks for everyones help!

Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:52 AM