none
Can't install, modify, or do anything to my VS installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried modifying Visual Studio from the VS installer a few days ago and i got a popup when i opened the VS installer saying the following:

https://imgur.com/ROplEpM

I tried downloading the VS installer and modifying VS from there but i get the same popup every time.

I even tried reinstalling the .Net 4.7.2 Redist and i still get the same problem.

I tried reinstalling VS but when i tried uninstalling it via the VS installer i got a popup saying "Sorry, something went wrong.",

I finally uninstalled VS by uninstalling the VS Installer from the control panel but now i'm trying to install it back and now i'm getting a infinite loading screen saying "Almost there...".

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Xephi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description and uploaded picture, could you share me which version of Visual Studio you are using?

>> I tried modifying Visual Studio from the VS installer a few days ago and i got a popup… I finally uninstalled VS by uninstalling the VS Installer from the control panel but now i'm trying to install it back and now i'm getting a infinite loading screen saying "Almost there...".

## I suppose the error is caused by your corrupted files managing installation.

In addition, just uninstalling the VS installer, it doesn’t seem to uninstall completely. I suggest you have a try with the following methods:

#1. Please run the InstallCleanup.exe under the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout. The tool could help to remove your Visual Studio.

#2. If you couldn’t find it,  please manually delete the files: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” and “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\[version]\[Community,Professional or Enterprise]”.

#3. Then, please re-download and install the Visual Studio you want again. And if you want to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 Redistributable, please refer to the link.

BTW, before you install Visual Studio or .NET Framework, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

If the issue persists, I need your help to collect more installation logs. Please download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %temp% folder and find the vslogs.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in here. Please clean up the personal information like Cookies and Password before you share your log.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be greatly expected.

Best Regards,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, December 6, 2019 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Xephi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description and uploaded picture, could you share me which version of Visual Studio you are using?

>> I tried modifying Visual Studio from the VS installer a few days ago and i got a popup… I finally uninstalled VS by uninstalling the VS Installer from the control panel but now i'm trying to install it back and now i'm getting a infinite loading screen saying "Almost there...".

## I suppose the error is caused by your corrupted files managing installation.

In addition, just uninstalling the VS installer, it doesn’t seem to uninstall completely. I suggest you have a try with the following methods:

#1. Please run the InstallCleanup.exe under the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout. The tool could help to remove your Visual Studio.

#2. If you couldn’t find it,  please manually delete the files: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” and “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\[version]\[Community,Professional or Enterprise]”.

#3. Then, please re-download and install the Visual Studio you want again. And if you want to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 Redistributable, please refer to the link.

BTW, before you install Visual Studio or .NET Framework, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

If the issue persists, I need your help to collect more installation logs. Please download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %temp% folder and find the vslogs.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in here. Please clean up the personal information like Cookies and Password before you share your log.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be greatly expected.

Best Regards,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, December 6, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Thanks a lot!

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:16 PM